What are your favourite CLASSICS

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Re: Favorite classic novel

Post by Sarah Penney »

I think for me it's probably a tie between Jane Eyre and Much Ado About Nothing. I know that Much Ado is technically a play, but I enjoy reading it just as much as I enjoy rereading Jane Eyre. As for when I first read them, I first read Jane Eyre as a twelve year old, and I first read Much Ado About Nothing as a thirteen year old.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
Sam+
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam.html

Post by Sam+ »

My favorite classic has to be Jane Eyre. When in 5th grade our english teacher use to read us sometimes. Those days i couldnt get the full gist of the book,partially coz i had very short span of attention when listening. I always wanted to hold that book. So when i had my first pay teaching younger kids i straight went to a bookshop and bought it. This was 15 yrs back. I have moved countries and houses but that book is my treasured possession. Now i understand each and every word in the book and enjoy it as well. Almost every weekend i read atleast few pages from this book.
sa-jenkins
Currently Reading: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sa-jenkins.html

Post by sa-jenkins »

My favorite classic novel is The Grapes of Wrath. I just read it about four months ago and I finished it in less than three days. I am 41 and can only really remember ready A LOT of Shakespeare in high school. And the same goes for college A LOT of Shakespeare and several short stories and poems. I have a degree in Psychology so my reading was always a text book. I decided to read The Grapes of Wrath due to Stephen King, one of my all time favorite authors, highly recommended the book in is book called On Writing. Although the book was written in 1939, the style of writing is very much the same as Stephen King. King suggested in his book that he wished he could one day be the great writer that he thought Steinbeck was. I see that a lot of you all mentioned A Tale of Two Cities, that is my next classic that I would like to read.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

Mine is Jane Eyre; I read it for my senior literature class and didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I think what I liked so much about it was how different it was from what I expected. On the surface it was a love stiry but just below that it was a story of independence; it was almost feminist.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

I'm in line with a lot of other ladies in this thread - pretty much ALL of Jane Austen!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

GandalfTheFey wrote:The Lord of The Rings.
The Hobbit.
The Silmarillion.
To Kill a Mockingbird.
First 3 books of ASOIAF.
Ender's Game.
The Forever War.
The Last Unicorn.
A Wizard of Earthsea.
Ah, a Fantasy fan! :D

Ever read Godstalk, by P.C. Hodgell, or Dance of the Goblins by Jaq D. Hawkins? I suppose neither is old enough to be considered classic, but definitely appeal to the same readership.
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by abithacker »

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
A Comedy of Errors by Shakespeare
Twelfth Night by Shakespeare
Henry V by Shakespeare
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
the biblophile
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by the biblophile »

New Grub street by George Gissing. A story of a impoverished writer and his circle of friends . Gissing is a much neglected Victorian writer.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

My favorite classic book is East of Eden. I first read this as a teenager in high school and it was definitely one of my favorite books to read in class. I loved the main theme about timshel and Cal Trask is my favorite character. I remember feeling like I had a lot in common with him and I admired him the most.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
emilynbauer

Post by emilynbauer »

The Great Gatsby is my favorite! I can always pick it up and read it when I am in a "book slump". Fitzgerald does a great job with this piece. There's so much going on and a lot of underlying plot. I like to think of it as the reader knows all but go back and pretend you are one character and you only know their side of the story; it makes it almost into a new book! Try it out sometime :wink2:
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

East of Eden is my favorite Steinbeck novel. I also like the film adaption with James Dean, and Raymond Masse. Winter of our Discontent is also very good.
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

My favorite classics list includes
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Jane Eyre
Pride and Prejudice
Much Ado About Nothing
The Merchant of Venice
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Aly_Mali
Currently Reading: Stolen
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aly-mali.html
Latest Review: "Dedecus" by Kathrine Webb

Post by Aly_Mali »

Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
All amazing, hard to decide a winner.
Latest Review: "Dedecus" by Kathrine Webb
Jane Doe
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-doe.html

Post by Jane Doe »

I absolutely LOVE Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare. The way he worded everything was beautiful.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I'm not sure how to define a "classic", but if we go with books > 50 years old, my top 5 would be: -

1. The Lord of the Rings - J R R Tolkien
2. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
3. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
4. Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
5. Of Human Bondage - W Somerset Maugham

But that will probably change as I read more and more and more. :D :D :D

-- 23 Aug 2016, 03:02 --

If the cut off was > 100 years old, my list would be: -

1. Of Human Bondage - W Somerset Maugham
2. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - mark Twain
3. The Good Soldier - Ford Madox Ford
4. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
5. Sons and Lovers - D H Lawrence
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”