Your emotions take over you while reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
savilewis
Currently Reading: The Kill Order
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savilewis.html
Latest Review: "Thunderstorm" by Sophie McNeill

Re: Your emotions take over you while reading ?

Post by savilewis »

For sure, I'm quick to laugh or cry especially if I'm so into the book that the world around me fades away.
Latest Review: "Thunderstorm" by Sophie McNeill
CaitCupcake
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitcupcake.html
Latest Review: "Kept" by L. B. Plum
Reading Device: B00KHAFI9G

Post by CaitCupcake »

I'm guilty of this, it makes reading in public a dangerous game. I always tend to laugh when the characters are invovled in an awkward situation. Even had to put my book down and walk away to stop laughing once.
Latest Review: "Kept" by L. B. Plum
Bluedonutcentral
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluedonutcentral.html

Post by Bluedonutcentral »

Depending on the book, yes I can become emotional while reading only once have I ever cried. The other times were laughter I can usually hold it in but then I would come across either a really ridiculous line of dialog or humorous one and I would just not be able to hold it in.
ola dark
Favorite Author: Joe Abercrombie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6904">The Blade Itself (The First Law # 1)</a>
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-dark.html
fav_author_id: 3904

Post by ola dark »

for me not so much , I don't get angry ,or cry (there were two books which made me cry until now) it's just sarcasm that makes me crack up laughing , specially when im listening to an audiobook in the bus ,it happed to much that I usually stay facing the window so that people wont notice (but they usually does)
WilliamsQ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WilliamsQ »

Laughing out loud rarely. More smiling. Have gasped, or went "whoa". Also feel queasy if something awful happens to a nice character.
Rowenaleem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rowenaleem »

For me to get emotional for a book doesn't really take much and I don't know if it's because I have a good imagination or what. One of the first books that really hit me hard was called Go Ask Alice and honestly I ready it when I was about 12 but have reread it. That book for me broke my heart in so many ways and I learned a lot from it.
Georgethebookaholic
Favorite Author: Meja Mwangi
Currently Reading: Mortal Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgethebookaholic.html

Post by Georgethebookaholic »

A lot.I like reading crime thrillers and detective stories. So its that moment when the villain has managed to trick some poor innocent detective into a trap, and the detective is so dumb he can't see it; he is going right into the trap. I find myself slapping the book and shouting at the detective "Come on, its a trap silly" i wouldn't want to imagine that happening in public!
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I am usually not too externally emotional when reading (even if I am freaking out on the inside). There are rare cases though, usually with books that I really love, where I will spontaneously start laughing or crying. I try not to do this in public.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

All the time. I laugh, cry, yell and get angry when I read. I've been reading late at night before and was getting ready to yell at the ending of a book and then realized that everyone was asleep. (I had to yell into the pillow instead) ;) But I find that it's the best part of reading, being emotionally connected with the book. :)
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Books take me through a range of emotions. Laughing, crying, anger, and shouting. I talk to characters. I'm that person that you slide away from on public transportation. I can be mistaken for someone with Tourette syndrome. Books have been my only friend since a little girl.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

Oh, I do this all the time. I tend to get very invested in some characters, and sometimes I've had to stop reading because I was shaking too badly to continue.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
sarahpayne23
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 1016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpayne23.html
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk

Post by sarahpayne23 »

I definitely feel the emotions of the story, especially if it is well written. I have been known to laugh or cry or even feel depressed while reading a book. It is one of the reasons I enjoy reading so much!
Latest Review: "Schism" by Clabe Polk
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I will sometimes laugh or cry in a story but I can only think of one book that I've read that I cried to and that was the last song by nicholas sparks. I feel more excitement when reading because I want to know what's going to happen next.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

Melaniep wrote:
StephenKingman wrote: I tend to take statements like "I cried the whole way through the book" with a pinch of salt. Really? You cried that much during it, must be a lot of hyper sensitive people out there. That sort of nonsense is just the PR spin to sell books.
There has been one book I've read in my life that I would consider using that phrase while describing. It was A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer. No, I did not literally cry on every single page from cover to cover. But I did cry at least ten times. I don't consider myself hyper-sensitive, but reading about that level of child abuse and neglect from a first-hand account really got to me.

Other than that specific book, usually if there is a particularly sad part in a book, I will tear up, but they don't fall. And in funny parts, I'll usually smile, but very rarely laugh out loud.[/i]
I have read that book. It is a very touching story and worthy of a good cry. Maybe this makes me a sociopath, but I don't cry over atrocities done by people to other people. I cry when animals get hurt. Where the Red Fern Grows makes me cry EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. It is a spectacular book and a worthy read.

Edit: I will laugh out loud and make faces with the characters.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
DesiP
Currently Reading: Modern Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desip.html
Latest Review: "All Roads Lead to Hades" by K.S. Morgan
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by DesiP »

My emotions absolutely take over when I'm reading. Sometimes I bust out laughing or start to cry a little, and my husband looks at me like I'm crazy. Personally I like to read romance/erotica and when there is a tense moment, or the big misunderstanding is just happening, I get this drop feeling in my stomach because I just know the characters are going to have some angst. I love and hate that feeling. Love it because to me it signifies a good story, but hate it because it feels weird.
Latest Review: "All Roads Lead to Hades" by K.S. Morgan

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”