Your emotions take over you while reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
latilock123
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00UZM2JKW

Re: Your emotions take over you while reading ?

Post by latilock123 »

I get really emotional, it's hard to read a book and not feel connected to it.
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

My emotions do take over. When I read, I often get so into the book that I feel like I am experiencing everything like the characters are. I will laugh, cry, get mad, be upset over what is happening in the book.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
EllieJ
Currently Reading: The Historian
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliej.html
Latest Review: "The Village Witch" by Neil Davies

Post by EllieJ »

When I really get into a book I love, I become emotionally attached to the story and characters. One time I was reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand on the train and started to tear up. I had to stop reading and look out the window for a bit to compose myself. :oops:
Latest Review: "The Village Witch" by Neil Davies
TheRavenwoodReview
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theravenwoodreview.html

Post by TheRavenwoodReview »

Totally. When I read, I see the movie of the book play out in my head as I read and I cry, laugh and gasp out loud. I try no to do this in public, but make no promises. I get a few "Oh my gosh!" thrown in there for good measure, too. I'm not at all dramatic. :-) ~KK
annabanana
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabanana.html
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by annabanana »

Emotions always take over when I am reading a book. Most of the time I do not realize then someone will ask me why I am smiling and I will realize what had happened. I cry, laugh, smile, and feel the pain as they would. It to me is the best feeling to just fall into a book and to be so immersed in it that it takes over.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

There are definitely stories that can really make me feel. I remember the first time I read East of Eden by John Steinbeck. That is my favorite book and I was mostly fine reading the whole thing, but when I read the very last page I couldn't help but cry. It was so touching and moving and then we went in depth with the symbolism in class so I cried even more while reading it.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Xander_22
Currently Reading: The Brothers Karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xander-22.html

Post by Xander_22 »

I mainly get emotional if I really like a character generally. I can get pretty furious especially if I don't like the way other characters treat my favorite. And if an event like a death happens I cry sometimes, but there has to be a great build-up leading to the event.
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

If it's written well yes. I've been happy, angry, and all the above.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I'm starting to think I only read dark books with negative emotions, or at least those are the ones that affect my emotions the most. I feel like I definitely get negative if I'm reading a book where things aren't going well for the characters or if something really terrible happens.
Tiffanyrose524
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyrose524.html

Post by Tiffanyrose524 »

I always get emotional while reading, makes it hard for people who don't get into books that deep to understand why your crying or laughing
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

I bawled my eyes out last night when I read about a character dying in battle, and his familiar, a rabbit, dying right there with him. I cry every time I read it. The Subtle Knife, Philip Pullman.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
Vivisbooks
Currently Reading: Shadow Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivisbooks.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Vivisbooks »

I express a lot of emotion while reading. I laugh, cry, and even scream at books. I get so attached to certain books that I cannot help it. The struggle is real.
anamcara
Bookshelf Size: 511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anamcara.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by anamcara »

I definitely become emotionally invested in a book. The more emotions a book can elicit from me is a really great read. It's also why I prefer reading to audio books and movies.
"Of the knowledge of man, nothing is more unintelligible than the
human heart."

-Homer
KAnne820
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanne820.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KAnne820 »

Yes, my emotions do sometimes take over while reading books. Especially sad parts.
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

Kaitlyn12 wrote:My emotions do take over. When I read, I often get so into the book that I feel like I am experiencing everything like the characters are. I will laugh, cry, get mad, be upset over what is happening in the book.
Sounds like me! My husband has asked me before why I get so frustrated or angry with the story after reading. To him "it's just a book!" So when he gets mad at his video games I say "It's just a game!" lol

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”