Do long books put you off reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Birthright06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birthright06.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Re: Do long books put you off reading?

Post by Birthright06 »

It depends, if the blurb and reviews are good and interesting, I'll definitely give it a shot.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

Whenever I want to review a book and I realise its over 200, no matter how tasty the summary is, I get turned off from reading that book. I just zone off and stay away
Claudia DCD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorcpenz.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Claudia DCD »

I love long books if the story and world are so in depth that I never want to leave. But if I'm trying a new author or genre or universe, then a short one just sets me up to succeed rather than fail and avoid reading in general. As reading becomes more difficult, either because of my brain fog or my time available, shorter reads at least make me feel good about finishing something. But longer ones can come with more dopamine from the large accomplishment. But it's gotta have that reputation behind it, that it'll all be worth it in the end, and way after too. It's a bit prideful, but I feel good when I can tell someone I've read this really difficult and long book and enjoyed it no less. It's acknowledging it was hard work but also acknowledging that work was worth it too, for my internal and external life.
single churro
Currently Reading: The Russian Lieutenant
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-single-churro.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by single churro »

As mentioned previously by someone, long books are risky business. And if it is from a new author for me, it means putting my time and emotions into something that may not fulfill my expectations. So, I try not to pick long books on impulse, only start them if I am very sure that I won’t be disappointed.
Hops2
Currently Reading: The Blue View
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Hops2 »

Yes it most definitely does, I want something that goes straight to the point. I want to read a book and move to the next one.
EddyFiend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by EddyFiend »

It's a bit daunting to start reading a long book, particularly anything over 500 pages. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy was a challenging read for me.
Meadow Fox
Currently Reading: Night Angel
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadow-fox.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Meadow Fox »

Depends on the book, and/or the author. and/or current mood. :)
lucybear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lucybear »

I love long books! The one thing I hate is reading a fantastic book and know it's coming to an end. I will find excuses not to read.because I don't want to finish reading! Of it's a interesting book and appeals to what I like I would love it to be extra long!
rnbwrhiannon3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rnbwrhiannon3.html

Post by rnbwrhiannon3 »

I just finished Barkskins by Annie Proulx. I got really discouraged about 50 pages in, didn't want to finish. Pushed forward a few days later, at around 100 really struggled again. I gave it a few more chapters and ended up enjoying it finally! This was just over 700 pages.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

Any book with more than 500 pages is just a turn off, I would really struggle to finish it.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

No, it doesn't put me off reading. If the book is interesting and captivating then I'm ready to read long books.
Amna Khalid
Little_Lotte
Currently Reading: Rimas
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-lotte.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Little_Lotte »

If it is good, I relish every page. It doesn't matter how long a book is :techie-studyingbrown:
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I don't consider the length of the books I read as long as they are interesting enough to maintain my curiosity levels. Infact, I most times wish an interesting book does not end.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The answer is not a direct 'Yes' or 'No' as it depends on the book content and how it's delivered. Even short books can be boring, depending on the same parameters.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

Yes, long storytelling makes me sleepy and I will start saying to myself this book is becoming boring. That is when I know that I am getting tired of the book and I might put it on a shelf never to read it again. Unless I convince myself to give it another try.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”