Favorite book which is also movie..

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: Favorite book which is also movie..

Post by Ant »

Fran wrote:
Ant wrote:I first read The Deerhunter many years ago (when I was a young lad) and thought it was an amazing book, and when I saw the film I was expecting to be let down because the book was so good. Well, I thought the film was brilliant and things you picture in your mind whilst reading were spot on in the film.........both great. Christopher Walken played a great role and really shot him to stardom.
One of my all time favourite movies ... and I never knew it was based on a book. Another one for the TBR list
The book by E M Corder is based on the screenplay of the film, I agree Fran, both great.
Murphym
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Murphym »

I think Kokiloki has an excellent point by asking when the Dark Tower series will made into a film as that would surely be a favourite.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Ive got a video of The Martian Chronicles with Rock Hudson. It was a TV mini-series back about 1980 or so. It was changed from the book somewhat, but what else is new? Still, it was quite entertaining.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

Where the heart is
Smblomker
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Favorite Book: so far all of the house of night series
Currently Reading: beautiful creatures
fav_author_id: 3117

Post by Smblomker »

I liked the book and movie of A walk to remember. Stories like this just have a habit of grabbing me. The movie was pretty good as well.
When a good book captures me then, I know I've found happiness.
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

Smblomker wrote:I liked the book and movie of A walk to remember. Stories like this just have a habit of grabbing me. The movie was pretty good as well.
That was a pretty great movie and book. I cried in both so I think it did the job it was supposed to :)

I love To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Rings, pretty much all the Jane Austen adaptations.

I loved the movie PS I love you and then decided to read the book and couldnt really get into it. I've found that happens quite a lot. Has anyone else watched a movie based on a book and then decide to read the book and find you just cant? It happened with The Client as well - because I thought the movie was excellent but couldn't get into the book. :?
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

RuqeeD wrote:
Smblomker wrote:I liked the book and movie of A walk to remember. Stories like this just have a habit of grabbing me. The movie was pretty good as well.
That was a pretty great movie and book. I cried in both so I think it did the job it was supposed to :)

I love To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Rings, pretty much all the Jane Austen adaptations.

I loved the movie PS I love you and then decided to read the book and couldnt really get into it. I've found that happens quite a lot. Has anyone else watched a movie based on a book and then decide to read the book and find you just cant? It happened with The Client as well - because I thought the movie was excellent but couldn't get into the book. :?
I know what you mean. I usually read a book first then the movie but i saw The Exorcist then read the book and found it quite slow and plodding, also read Accidental Billionaires which i dont think was a patch on The Social Network.
You only live once.....so live!
Dragonflytears

Post by Dragonflytears »

Has anyone read "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane? I was told not to read the book if I've seen the movie? I loved the movie and it was on my TBR list, but now I'm wondering...

:? :?
~ “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” ~ Stephen King

Join us on facebook: bookoutletcom
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Dragonflytears wrote:Has anyone read "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane? I was told not to read the book if I've seen the movie? I loved the movie and it was on my TBR list, but now I'm wondering...

Nice to see you back posting Dragonfly ... hope all is well with your mum.

Yea read Shutter Island way back last February & really liked it. I had seen the movie beforehand & enjoyed it (apart from Leonardo DiCaprio who IMO was totally miscast) but I do think the book was somehow more satisfying than the movie. The ending of the book is less ambiguous than the movie .... at least for me I honestly had no idea at the end of the movie what the reality was, that last line (which isn't in the book) ... "Which would be worse – to live as a monster, or to die as a good man?" left me totally bewildered.
I would strongly recommend reading the book whether or not you have seem the movie.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Dragonflytears

Post by Dragonflytears »

Fran wrote:
Dragonflytears wrote:Has anyone read "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane? I was told not to read the book if I've seen the movie? I loved the movie and it was on my TBR list, but now I'm wondering...

Yea read Shutter Island way back last February & really liked it. I had seen the movie beforehand & enjoyed it (apart from Leonardo DiCaprio who IMO was totally miscast) but I do think the book was somehow more satisfying than the movie. The ending of the book is less ambiguous than the movie .... at least for me I honestly had no idea at the end of the movie what the reality was, that last line (which isn't in the book) ... "Which would be worse – to live as a monster, or to die as a good man?" left me totally bewildered.
I would strongly recommend reading the book whether or not you have seem the movie.
Hi Fran!

Thanks ~ My mom is still not well - things are so hard right now :( I'm having more and more meltdowns - it's all getting to me I guess.

I think I will buy the book. I've been wanting to read it for a while... I enjoyed the movie and 9 out of 10 times, the books are always better so I'm excited.
~ “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” ~ Stephen King

Join us on facebook: bookoutletcom
lambcrazy

Post by lambcrazy »

mine is Harry Potter ... :D :D :D :D
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Another good one was The Searchers with John Wayne.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
maynard

Post by maynard »

Liked "No Country For Old Men"
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Dragonflytears wrote:
Fran wrote:

Hi Fran!

Thanks ~ My mom is still not well - things are so hard right now :( I'm having more and more meltdowns - it's all getting to me I guess.

I think I will buy the book. I've been wanting to read it for a while... I enjoyed the movie and 9 out of 10 times, the books are always better so I'm excited.
Sorry to hear that Dragon, can be a difficult time ... you have my sympathies.
Do post your reaction to Shutter Island if you decide to read it, I'll be interested to see if you agree with me regarding the ending.
Take care & go easy on yourself.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

‎"Sounds to me like Anthony junior may have stumbled on to existentialism." - " f****g' internet..."

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”