Is a books condition important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
nirvanamargaret
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is a books condition important?

Post by nirvanamargaret »

The more worn, the better! Adds character and life. I will have multiple copies or my favorites so I always have something readable.
BookBundle

Post by BookBundle »

I may not prefer the condition of the books, but Pages of the books shouldn't be fall..
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Vermont Reviews wrote:
Gravy wrote:
DATo wrote:
I agree. Wouldn't it be interesting to actually meet the people who have already read it and brought it to that "well-loved" condition? And as an added bonus it would afford the perfect opportunity to yell at them for dog-earing the pages [:- )
Agreed :lol:

I always find it so interesting to pick up a used book. I picked up an old hardback collection of plays and found four leaf clover pressed between the pages. Try finding that in a new book :lol:

It is interesting what can be found in a book that someone else has owned.

Vermont Reviews

:shhh:
Your use of the shhh smiley concerns me a little :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Ant wrote:You find all sorts of stuff in old books, some good some bad.
I think I posted in the "Bookmarks" thread that I once found a Pot Noodle lid that was being used as a bookmark, can't remember what flavour it was though. :wink:
A pot noodle lid? Must have been a pretty thin lid. :lol2:

I don't mind a little beat up, but I wouldn't want a book that it's pages are falling out, unexplained smudges, or too many notes written in the margins. I don't know if I feel it adds more character or not. My mind kind of goes to germs sometimes with the unexplained smudges/stains :shock2: However, I have bought my share of used books and have enjoyed them. :D
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
jlarmstr

Post by jlarmstr »

Yes and no. I'm a sucker for books in general, but I love things that have a history. When I find old bookmarks and notes in the margin, I find myself making my own story about the book's history. The condition only matters to me when the book is falling apart, missing pages, and illegible.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Sarah_Khan wrote:For me, if I'm just reading a book then I don't really mind if it's in bad condition... but if I'm buying a book then I would like it to be in a good-ish condition because I want to be able to have it for a long time.
I agree! My friend judged me the other week because I looked through all the copies of a book I was going up buy to make sure I was getting the best one :lol:
But if it's a book I've read a few times or other people have read I don't mind if it looks a little used.
Mona Pence
Currently Reading: Hard Place
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mona-pence.html

Post by Mona Pence »

I prefer to read a book in good condition! I love the feel of reading a clean new book! It's do exciting and refreshing! I just love it!!!

-- 24 May 2016, 19:41 --

I prefer to read a book in good condition! I love the feel of reading a clean new book! It's so exciting and refreshing! I just love it!!!
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

It's fine as long as the pages don't fall off. If you're buying then it should feel brand new. If you're not, it's ok because what's written in those pages are what matters most.
KatLady9

Post by KatLady9 »

I prefer my books to have all the pages, but other than that the condition of the book is irrelevant. Often times books are cheaper the rougher they look.
tlblack

Post by tlblack »

It depends on how badly I want the book. If its something I have been searching for forever, then no, it doesn't matter. I mean, I do like neat, clean books, not a lot of creases on the spine, no stains, but if I want it bad enough I'll do my best to overlook it. Most of my books, however, are used. Goodwill, Salvation Army, Amazon, thrift stores - any used book places. Rarely do I buy books brand new.
LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Post by LarkSpur25 »

If it's a book that I bought cheaply on a garage sale etc then as long as all the pages are there and the writing is still legible I don't care what condition it's in.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

For me, yes, I generally buy used books from second hand shops and find my finds are in the best condition I can find them. If there are more than one copy to choose from, I choose the best copy. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the love and wear of a used book, but enjoy seeing my appreciation worn on the books I buy.

Although I do buy most of my books second hand, there is something extremely intoxicating about buying a brand new book. Pristine condition, crisp pages, the aroma of fresh printed pages, and the knowledge that you are the only one to have read that specific copy. I almost become giddy when I get the opportunity to read a brand new book.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
WickedKitty
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wickedkitty.html
Latest Review: "Camp Hell" by Allen Stanfill
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by WickedKitty »

I prefer to buy books second hand since I'm more likely to find first print art. The condition matters as long as it has all the pages and I can read the words. I can handle bent pages and such.
Latest Review: "Camp Hell" by Allen Stanfill
sidhikat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidhikat.html

Post by sidhikat »

I think it doesn't matter as long as you can read it and all the pages are there!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

The condition of the book does not matter as long as all of the pages are there. I've read tons of beaten up books. Why would that change the book? The only time it matters is if the pages are missing or so worn out you can't read them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”