Is a books condition important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Is a books condition important?

Post by Ant »

Is a books condition important? Can you buy and enjoy a well worn and beat up book?
Harry64
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Harry64 »

Ant wrote:Is a books condition important? Can you buy and enjoy a well worn and beat up book?
For me the answer is yes. Much prefer a book that is in good condition.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Definitely ... I buy a lot of my books in charity and second hand shops and many show the marks of much handling and reading enjoyment. Of course it's lovely to get a new book in pristine condition with the printers smell still fresh but it's also lovely to leaf through a book and find little notes or comments from previous readers and know that you have in your hands possibly the love of someones life.

I love too when in secondhand or library books you come across some of the unusual things people use as bookmarks, till receipts, dried out flower petals, newspaper clippings and even letters and cards. All I consider as the marks of the life the book has lived.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Ant

Post by Ant »

Spot on Fran, I once found the peel-off top of a pot noodle inside a s/h book being used as a bookmark. :D :D
Fran

Post by Fran »

Ant wrote:Spot on Fran, I once found the peel-off top of a pot noodle inside a s/h book being used as a bookmark. :D :D
What a story you could make from that :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I have no real problem with reading a worn second hand book, its the story within thats more important, the only downside to reading a second hand book is you cant get that lovely "brand new" smell off the pages and ink...mmmm lovely. Im not the only one who does that right?
You only live once.....so live!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Oh no, it's like a drug to me.
Bookworm2011

Post by Bookworm2011 »

I absolutely love the smell of a new book too, but to me I don't mind buying a book secondhand. I kind of like when a book is worn. I knew someone who had to have all his books in pristine condition and was so careful when reading so that he didn't leave a line on the spine and I thought he was crazy.. I like showing my books have been read.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I agree with Fran, Ive found strange things in old books. Old love letters, newspaper clippings, I once found a receipt from a drugstore dated 1893. I like old used books, probably even better than some new ones. They say no matter how old and beat-up a book is, if youve never read it, it is a new book. I worked at the city dump when I lived in Utah, and you wouldnt believe the the really cool books people threw away. Tons of those mush books, Harliquins and stuff like that you cant even give those away. But I found some good ones, too. A complete set of books by Winston Churchill, some Catholic books from the 1800's,a bunch of first edition Perry Mason books, about 30 ww2 books from some mystery book club, printed on really crappy wartime paper shortage paper. I eventually had close to a thousand of them at one time that just came from the dump. I didnt have room for them, and I came upon hard times and had to sell most of them, some I got good money for from an antique dealer. Anyway, I think old used books are facinating. I like the way they smell, too.
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I am a collector as much as I am a reader. So if the book is going into my collection then it has to be in new or near new, preferably mint condition. I collect signed first editions, so of course these books have to be in near mint condition. I am however as I said a reader as well as a collector, so if I am reading a book that I am not going to collect I don't really care what condition it is in and can just immerse myself in the story without worrying about damaging it.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Lita

Post by Lita »

If the pages aren't falling apart, it's all right with me :D
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

I like to read a book in as crisp of a condition as possible. (I hate to break the spine when I read.)

If I REALLY have to read a book and can't find it in great condition, then I will do what I have to do.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I like my books to look old and wrinkly, especially my horror books. And the book I cherish the most.. Bram Stokers - Dracula.. That MUST be in fantastic condition... Always...
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Fran

Post by Fran »

Jacob wrote:I like my books to look old and wrinkly, especially my horror books. And the book I cherish the most.. Bram Stokers - Dracula.. That MUST be in fantastic condition... Always...
Yea ... mess with that book and you might hear wings beating at 3am :wink:
- My Home by Clive James
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Fran wrote:
Jacob wrote:I like my books to look old and wrinkly, especially my horror books. And the book I cherish the most.. Bram Stokers - Dracula.. That MUST be in fantastic condition... Always...
Yea ... mess with that book and you might hear wings beating at 3am :wink:
When me and my brother fight, he threatens to ruin it. He knows how much I love it... I think I die inside every time he says that... I have even had dreams of him lighting it on fire. :shock:
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”