Is a books condition important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Re: Is a books condition important?

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I used to like books that were in perfect condition and I was always careful not too damage my books in anyway. But the more I read the more I realized books are great no matter what condition. I do tend to keep my new books in the best condition I can, but you can't deny the charm beaten up, well read books have.
Lycaonia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lycaonia »

My only requirement on book condition is that there is minimal writing (blank pages with a name or something are fine, but not pages with text), and all the pages must be intact. Otherwise, I often enjoy well-worn books, since I don't have to worry about keeping them in pristine condition.
JCunha77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcunha77.html

Post by JCunha77 »

I do like newer books but I do like a worn book my latest purchase was two leisure hour library magazines and each has a different unchanged and unabridged Charles Dickens story one is our mutual friend and the other is Martin Chuzzlewit. Loved the books even though the condition is very poor.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I enjoy very new books the most but it is rarely the best books. Somehow it happens that the most ugly ones (old and dusty) are tho most interesting ones.
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

Doesn't matter that much, unlike records, which I collect, they have to be in excellent condition
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

As long as there is no yucky stuff on the pages, I enjoy worn books. They stay open better, I enjoy finding notes written by previous owners, and their cheaper! It's a win-win-win.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I buy used books quite often, and one in worn condition does not bother me- as long as it isn't falling apart. If I have a signed copy of a book or a special edition, I tend to keep two copies. That way I have one to read and one to have as a keepsake.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
LadyLillium
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladylillium.html

Post by LadyLillium »

I didn't think that book condition mattered but then I bought a copy of a book with a few too many annotations from the previous owner. It was incredibly distracting. I've also found that if I'm worried about the pages falling out it is far more difficult to completely enjoy the book.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I can't stand a beat up book. Drives me nuts! I don't mind if it's a little worn, but ultimately having a brand new book gives me a high. Being the first to cracking the spine always gave me enjoyment. Lol
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Gravy wrote:Sometimes I actually prefer a well loved book. There's something about a book that has been read many times, it holds a history, a secret, has more than just the story on it's pages. I love that.
I agree. Wouldn't it be interesting to actually meet the people who have already read it and brought it to that "well-loved" condition? And as an added bonus it would afford the perfect opportunity to yell at them for dog-earing the pages [:- )
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

DATo wrote:
Gravy wrote:Sometimes I actually prefer a well loved book. There's something about a book that has been read many times, it holds a history, a secret, has more than just the story on it's pages. I love that.
I agree. Wouldn't it be interesting to actually meet the people who have already read it and brought it to that "well-loved" condition? And as an added bonus it would afford the perfect opportunity to yell at them for dog-earing the pages [:- )
Agreed :lol:

I always find it so interesting to pick up a used book. I picked up an old hardback collection of plays and found four leaf clover pressed between the pages. Try finding that in a new book :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Nice! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Gravy wrote:
DATo wrote:
Agreed :lol:

I always find it so interesting to pick up a used book. I picked up an old hardback collection of plays and found four leaf clover pressed between the pages. Try finding that in a new book :lol:

It is interesting what can be found in a book that someone else has owned.

Vermont Reviews

:shhh:
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Ant
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

You find all sorts of stuff in old books, some good some bad.
I think I posted in the "Bookmarks" thread that I once found a Pot Noodle lid that was being used as a bookmark, can't remember what flavour it was though. :wink:
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

For me, if I'm just reading a book then I don't really mind if it's in bad condition... but if I'm buying a book then I would like it to be in a good-ish condition because I want to be able to have it for a long time.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”