How fast do you read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vtoodler
Bookshelf Size: 0

How fast do you read

Post by vtoodler »

It takes me about 2 to 3 minutes to finish one page. Is that typical?

How many pages, on average, can you read in one hour?
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

It takes me 2-5 hours to read a good, thick book with no breaks. And same here, about 2-5 minutes with me depending if I don't get something or can't understand the word.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
kellydouglas

Post by kellydouglas »

Truely saying i read very very slow. :roll: I will take min. 10 min. to read a page.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

kellydouglas wrote:Truely saying i read very very slow. :roll: I will take min. 10 min. to read a page.
Its not a race! Just enjoy the story. :D
You only live once.....so live!
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

It depends on what I am reading, some books I can just race through, others seem to take ages. I suppose it all has to to with how well the book has gripped me.
litlovebug2006

Post by litlovebug2006 »

It depends on what I am reading, some books I can just race through, others seem to take ages. I suppose it all has to to with how well the book has gripped me.
I have to agree completely. Growing up I always considered myself a relatively fast reader. I would finish a book within 3-4 hours. It wasn't until I got to college that I realized the kind of reading that I do really matters. If I have to read a textbook, it takes forever (unless you learn to read like a college student, aka skimming). Fiction usually reads faster but then again, it depends on the language used within the reading. George Eliot reads a lot slower than Dan Brown, could be the subject matter but the language can be rather difficult as well.
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

I think that my reading speed varies with the amount of interest, a book can arouse in me. Usually, thrillers and love stories double up my speed. :)
"Children were playing when Holston climbed to his death" Wool by Hug Howey
schuym1

Post by schuym1 »

I read books fast while still understanding the plot. I am in my last year of high school and throughout school, I have been told many times to read slower to my class.
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

I think I'm a very slow reader I've never really paid any attention to how long it takes me to finish a page. It took me about three or so months to finish the seven Harry Potter books.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I find that the more you enjoy a book, the faster you read. Same as anything really whatever your hobbies or pleasures are time seems to speed up when you are enjoying yourself, but as SKM says its not a race, just enjoy the book at whatever pace you choose to read.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
CashJames
Favorite Author: Leo Tolstoy
fav_author_id: 2780

Post by CashJames »

It depends, if I'm reading at work I probably finish a page every 5-6 minutes due to the distractions. If I'm reading in a peaceful environment, about 2 minutes. That is, if the book is well written and relatively interesting.
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Marius

Post by Marius »

for me 3 - 5 mins to read one page !

if I enjoyed the book, I can finnish it in 5 hours :D

-- 18 Oct 2011, 15:22 --

for me 3 - 5 mins to read one page !

if I enjoyed the book, I can finnish it in 5 hours :D
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

Had myself timed so I know it's about 360 words per minute. Took a speed reading class once and got up to a 1000 but it requires such intense concentration it's not enjoyable. Read the Lord of the Rings in 2 days when I was in high school. Read Stephen King's It in 2 days, would've been faster but I had to go to work on 1 of the days. Read faster when the book is very absorbing. If I'm reading for info or something that's not real interesting it might take forever. :D
Best regards, Rick
My worst day reading a book is better than my best day doing anything else.
Leta

Post by Leta »

It really depends. If I am reading for pleasure...I read very quickly. If I am reading to gather information, then I read slower to try to take in all the details.
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

I never really thought of recording it. But I bet Its really slow. It's no wonder since sometimes I read the same sentence or paragraph twice.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”