Do you discuss a book after reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Re: Do you discuss a book after reading

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Years ago, I never even thought about discussing a book after reading it. It wasn't until I was almost done with college that I even thought about always writing something about each book I had read. I think I learned to really like writing papers: a lot of times it wasn't necessarily about being right, it was about defending a theory. Of course, there has to be some foundation upon which one can base a theory, but essentially, whatever you decided to focus on, as long as it wasn't totally absurd, could be made to work. It was also fun to learn to pick out examples to defend a point while reading a book, rather than just reading it as a story or reading it to look for flaws. Perhaps I don't like to be unkind to art? I don't think that being perfect is the point of a lot of writers. Poetry might be a different thing and some philosophical works or even good writers who are looking for a challenge.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

No I don't, but when I was in school I used to discuss books so as to tackle my exams better.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

Yes, after reading a book I use to discuss it with my friend. Discussing after reading books is a good habit, because it lets us share our thoughts, our experience. Two people could read the same book, but may have different experience and different perspective. We could know what others perspective on the book are. By discussing, we could learn things that we may have missed while reading.
SmartReviewer77
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smartreviewer77.html
Latest Review: Confessions of a Manaholic by P. Pierre

Post by SmartReviewer77 »

I often recall them to my closest friends. So yeah, in a way I am discussing them.
Mukoan M
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukoan-m.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Mukoan M »

SmartReviewer77 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 11:18 I often recall them to my closest friends. So yeah, in a way I am discussing them.
Same here I often share the story with family.
Lalaj21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lalaj21 »

Definitely , i like exploring multiple perceptions and opinions of the readers after having tapped into a world unknown , a world only the writer and their audience knows
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

Just leting you know that you might be a little bit disappointed with "Pompeii" after reading "Fatherland". Its not that "Pompeii" is bad, I enjoyed it, its just that imho "Fatherland" is Harris's best work ever.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

In fact, I don't wait to finish reading a book before I discuss it with others. This habit has helped me in recommending books to my friends. Writing book reviews and sharing them with my peers is another way I discuss books
stylesreview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stylesreview.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by stylesreview »

Yes. Especially if a book impressed me, I will not keep quiet about it. I believe that such gems should be shared. The people closest to me often get some good recommendations from me, because when I read a good book, I can't keep it to myself.
Liza Chulukhadze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

Most of the times, I don't. I might tell someone that I read a nice book, but I won't talk about it much if it wasn't an actually amazing one.
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: The Anti-Semite Next Door by Mark M. Bello

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I would love to discuss all the books I love with someone else. Unfortunately, it’s not usually something I’m able to do, but if it’s popular enough to find a Facebook group about it I’ll go on so I can talk to people about it.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

It depends. Maybe if the type of book is good and can be discussed, like psychology, politics, or history themes, I will discuss it with someone who shares the same passion.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”