Do you discuss a book after reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
intrestingca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you discuss a book after reading

Post by intrestingca »

I find it tiresome
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Absolutely ... for me part of the joy of reading is discussing books, stories & characters, getting opinions of other readers and agreeing or disagreeing with their opinions. I'm constantly amazed at how different readers respond to a book and how heated they can become in defending their opinion ... and I sometimes end up thinking I've read a completly different book!
For me reading may be a solitary pursuit but being a reader is in most cases a gregarious & sociable personality type.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Vistamind

Post by Vistamind »

I find it tiresome
Yes, of course. After discussion, I clear my confusions and get lots of professional knowledge.
Last time, I read about World War and then I concern with my grandpa and he shared the complete story with me. At that time, I felt that i am seeing all world war moment.
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

That's a good point made there Vistamind, I think it makes a difference if the book is factual, it's hard then to have conflicting opinions about a book if it is true. Of course it can still be discussed but not in the same way as a work of pure fiction.
I like to discuss books after I have read them, but it has to be with the right person, otherwise your conversation may seem a little tiresome or boring.
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Fran wrote:Absolutely ... for me part of the joy of reading is discussing books, stories & characters, getting opinions of other readers and agreeing or disagreeing with their opinions. I'm constantly amazed at how different readers respond to a book and how heated they can become in defending their opinion ... and I sometimes end up thinking I've read a completly different book!
For me reading may be a solitary pursuit but being a reader is in most cases a gregarious & sociable personality type.
Could not have put it better myself Fran. I cannot believe after all our recommendations to each other that we have not disagreed yet. I am not going to start with "The Gravedigger's Daughter", love it. I am waiting with baited breath to see what you think of "Fatherland" Nose to the grind........Ahhhrrr I have to stop saying that. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

I love discussing a book after reading it. Of course, I prefer discussing it with someone who has also read it. Otherwise I run the risk of divulging too much information. If you've not joined a Book Club, I strongly recommend it. You will hear many different opinions on the one book and you are sure to pick up things you missed which, in turn, enhances your reading. And others can learn from your comments, too.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Gannon wrote:
Fran wrote:Absolutely ... for me part of the joy of reading is discussing books, stories & characters, getting opinions of other readers and agreeing or disagreeing with their opinions. I'm constantly amazed at how different readers respond to a book and how heated they can become in defending their opinion ... and I sometimes end up thinking I've read a completly different book!
Could not have put it better myself Fran. I cannot believe after all our recommendations to each other that we have not disagreed yet. I am not going to start with "The Gravedigger's Daughter", love it. I am waiting with baited breath to see what you think of "Fatherland" Nose to the grind........Ahhhrrr I have to stop saying that. :)
@Gannon
We won't be disagreeing over Fatherland either ... really enjoying it & I have Pompeii lined up for dessert :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

@Fran

Just leting you know that you might be a little bit disappointed with "Pompeii" after reading "Fatherland". Its not that "Pompeii" is bad, I enjoyed it, its just that imho "Fatherland" is Harris's best work ever.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
selina

Post by selina »

Ofcourse i always discuss after completing my book - the things which i felt about the theme what others thinks, i like to know diverse opinions
Bergamot

Post by Bergamot »

I haven't discussed any yet; but that was one of my reasons for joining this Club. I need to get a 'feel' for 'how to discuss' ... like finding a voice you didn't know you had.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I live in Mexico and the only thing I miss from the U.S. is my reading group. I thoroughly enjoyed the monthly discussions. Even if we hit a book we all enjoyed we would find things to discuss.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Sometimes I do, but like Patrick I live in Mexico and no one is here to talk to about reading.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

^ Well you have all the gang here to discuss and that goes for anyone who likes to discuss books- here is where its at 8)
You only live once.....so live!
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Thats good, because the only books here are in Spanish, which I know very little of. :lol:
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

I love to talk about the books I am reading. The only trouble is finding someone that will listen.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”