Do you discuss a book after reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RStone
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rstone.html
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami

Re: Do you discuss a book after reading

Post by RStone »

I have a few people I like to talk books with, if we've both managed to read the same book, but generally no. I was a member of an ill fated book club for a while and found it painful. Not everyone had the same opinion, which was fine, but there was at least one person who took anyone disagreeing with her opinion as a personal insult and would steamroll the conversation and glower. Deeply irritating. If I know I can get a good, intellectual conversation- great, otherwise, no. Of course, I also teach literature, so sometimes discussing books is part of the job description. Students aren't always great at holding up their part...
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami
aamadrid
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aamadrid.html

Post by aamadrid »

I most definitely discuss the book once I'm doing reading it. I especially discuss the book if I know someone is reading it too or if someone let me borrow their book. Often times I find it interesting to see someone's perspective on the characters in the book. Some of my favorite characters are not always the favorite of someone elses.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I do like talking about a book after reading it. I do not like doing it right away. I find that I usually want time to think about everything I read.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

My mother and I enjoy the same type of books. So I usually discuss the books with her and she does the same with me. We can usually tell if the other is going to like a specific book or not. Most of the time I do enjoy talking about books. It was a good topic with my grandmother as well. We used to talk about Christian authors.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I love talking about books I'm reading. However, some friends and family read a genre that I don't care for. The other half are glued to TV. Luckily, I have this site.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Jesska6029 wrote:I do like talking about a book after reading it. I do not like doing it right away. I find that I usually want time to think about everything I read.

That makes a lot of sense. Most of the time I end up thinking about the book after I read it. That gives me a lot of time to figure out if I like the book or not. Of course I can usually figure that out while I am reading a book. The ending of book can tell me a lot though.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Va_treehugger wrote:I love to talk about the books I am reading. The only trouble is finding someone that will listen.
LOL! I used to bombard my husband with my opinions annd feelings about books I just finished. He of course would be polite sometimes and listen but unless he planned to read the book also or already has he is not really all that interested. :P So I joined two book clubs through my library that meet monthly. I like opening up to new books that I would never have considered reading on my own.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Va_treehugger wrote:I love to talk about the books I am reading. The only trouble is finding someone that will listen.
I can relate! I love to read and discuss books but nobody else around me does! That's why I'm happy to find this website :)
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
swatson1982
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swatson1982.html

Post by swatson1982 »

I really wish I had more friends who like to read. It seems to be a dying art sometimes.
dancing with hugo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancing-with-hugo.html

Post by dancing with hugo »

I have been a member of two reading clubs because I thought it would be interesting to hear others' takes on books I wanted to read. Found that most people had little of value to contribute regarding the book we were reading as a group. Primarily, they were more interested in how it related to their lives, both past and present. Not a bad thing, but not what I was looking for.
Naira
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Naira »

swatson1982 wrote:I really wish I had more friends who like to read. It seems to be a dying art sometimes.
Yes, unfortunately it's so
fitzml
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: The Fountainhead
Currently Reading: The Stranger Beside me by Ann Rule
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzml.html
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by fitzml »

I love to but don't know anybody in my circle of family, friends and acquaintances who read or even like to read. That's why I am so grateful for this forum.
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
Joen143
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Joen143 »

Fran wrote:Absolutely ... for me part of the joy of reading is discussing books, stories & characters, getting opinions of other readers and agreeing or disagreeing with their opinions. I'm constantly amazed at how different readers respond to a book and how heated they can become in defending their opinion ... and I sometimes end up thinking I've read a completly different book!
For me reading may be a solitary pursuit but being a reader is in most cases a gregarious & sociable personality type.

Yeah. I agree with this. I don't know with others but I can't keep the emotion which the writer was able to express successfully. I can't contain it within myself. I need to share it with others who have read the book also then we discuss it objectively or have a heated debate. Whatever! :lol: The important is we share that precious moment.
na-se
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-na-se.html

Post by na-se »

it depends. There are some books I want to enjoy myself. But there some other books I want to talk about.
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

I never have, but I don't have anyone to discuss it with really. My husband doesn't want to hear about my lovey dovey books and I've never been part of a book club where I know it's encouraged. Maybe I should try that....
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”