HOw do you pick the books your going to read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
dana012
Currently Reading: Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana012.html
Latest Review: "All Access" by Liberty Kontranowski

Re: HOw do you pick the books your going to read?

Post by dana012 »

I choose by author and description. If the description is interesting, I read the book's reviews first, then decide from there.
Latest Review: "All Access" by Liberty Kontranowski
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

Sir/Madam,

This is a really neat question for me at the present moment! I normally will not let myself read a novel. I think it is a waste of valuable time. For the most part, I only allow myself cookbooks, fitness books and religious books. These to me are the most important.

Well, a month or two ago, while strolling through the library, looking, at authors and titles that I "normally" would not, I spotted Sarah Strohmeyer! Something just told me "whoa"! The names of her books just caught my attention. They did not seem like a waste of time and not trash.

Well, I just had to have a copy of Sweet Love a novel, as my own. I bought it on-line, for $3.00. Mine!

However, I have not read it yet...still not the perfect time...I have, to "allow", myself, a little "lov-in". When I do...you will know! I will be the person screaming, "I did it! I did it!"
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I usually choose by author or summary. However, I also enjoy randomly choosing from the library shelf. For example, if I'm looking at books by a particular author I will look up two shelves and randomly pull the first book my eyes land on. As a result I have read some really amazing books that I may never have selected using my typical methods!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Ever since I started reading ebooks I pretty much go for the title. Then see if the description intrigues me. When I use to shop for paper books I would further check out the book if the cover caught my eye. It's definitely a plus if the author is one I like but ultimately that's not what my final decision is based on.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
wandavoy
Currently Reading: Athenticity:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by wandavoy »

I am a "random" reader. Whatever I am interested in at that moment will determine what I feel like reading. I'm currently into books about Buddhism.
Hneite
Currently Reading: Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

I pick by gut feeling mostly after reading the description.
Mimi7
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi7.html

Post by Mimi7 »

I usually pick my books based on my mood.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I usually pick the book by checking the author. I love to read every book written by my favorite authors, and other times I pick books by checking the title and the summary of the book or the reviews I can find online.
MrsRay
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsray.html

Post by MrsRay »

It all comes down to the back cover blurb or the the story synopsis on the inside cover. The title and cover may be enough for me to pick the book up, but if the story doesn't sound interesting, or subject matter in the case of a non-fiction book, then I put it back down. If I have read a good book I will seek out other titles from that author because I know I like their style. Sometimes that leads to a series, but not always.

But then I have the secondary problem of selecting from the ones I have already brought home. Then I have (let's say 40) books that I already know I'm interested in reading and I have to decide what to read next. Then it's based on mood.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I hate that my answer is also by the cover! The cover really is the first thing to grab my attention; sometimes I will choose a book based on the cover and only the first line of the synopsis on the back. I also think titles are a big part in my decision making process. A title should say a lot about a book!
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

I'd pick by genre, cover, and title, with an emphasis on genre. I usually get my reading fix from crime novels and mystery titles. After that, maybe I'd check out some YA but nothing else. I prefer stories that are grounded and relatable, since I can't seem to zero in full attention on Fantasy and others.
Carleymarie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carleymarie »

I loved reading the responses on this post. I didn't start reading until my senior year of high school and I am a senior in college now so I am really behind on it. I still haven't figured out what genre I like the best. Like I said in another post I have ADHD and so I have to find books that catch me from the beginning which is really hard. I usually stay in the book store for hours just trying to pick one and it usually ends up being the one with the most interesting cover. I also go to the library a lot and buy the books that are under $1 and that way I don't feel bad if I never read them. That is how I fell in love with Nora Roberts.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I pick up just following my instincts...(it may sound weird)....but I kind of feel the books! I feel like "that" or "this" book is going to take me into another adventure! another twist! another world!that's how I do it
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Normally the first thing that catches my eye is the cover then title. Ultimately, I normally choose my books by the genre.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
kileiah
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kileiah.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kileiah »

I used to get book ideas just by browsing near the books I'd already read in a library. This often meant I was going by genre, followed by how the title and blurb caught me. As time went by I started reading based heavily on recommendations from friends, because I started to realise that there were a lot of people who shared my taste in reading, and this was a great way to talk about books and also learn more about my friends. I'm starting a new stage in reading because I just got a Kindle, and I'm giving a chance to more types of books I'm encountering through the store, and through this online book club too!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”