HOw do you pick the books your going to read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Re: Deciding what to read next

Post by zainherb »

varnish7 wrote: 27 Oct 2011, 18:40 Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering what methods the rest of you used to decide what book you're going to read next. Personally, I'll start to read a book, and while I'm reading it, I keep thinking about all of the other books I want to read. Sometimes if I enjoy a book that I'm reading, I'll try to get everything written by the same author or covering the same topic. There are just so many books that I want to read that I can't decide. Once I finally choose a book I'm OK, since, as I said, I like all kinds of books. Even then, it's hard to concentrate on what I'm reading, when I keep getting distracted by thoughts of what I want to read next.

Currently, I'm employing a system I made up in which I use a random number generator to narrow down my choice of books to a specific fiction or nonfiction category, and read five books from that specific category. Right now, I'm reading from a list of top 100 crime novels. I just started this, so I'm not quite sure if this is going to work out long term.

Could you tell me what methods you use to decide which book you're going to read next? Thanks. :)
Wow!
I do think about it too, and even though I have tried to stop it so I can focus more on the book I am currently reading, I find that when I'm between books, I feel a low grade sort of stress(don't know why). However, knowing just what book I'll be reading next, helps with that.

I just stick to a genre and many times, keep reading books by the same author . I know that I get bored easily, so once I get bored of that genre/author, after a couple of books, I search out another author or genre and pick it from there.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
JC gull
Currently Reading: Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by JC gull »

I don't usually choose a book more often than not it finds me.
frogbonsly76
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frogbonsly76.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by frogbonsly76 »

I can be a little picky when it comes to what I read these days, so if I see something that catches my eye I will try to find reviews of it to help me decide if it's worth my time.

As for finding titles that catch my eye, since Google tracks what I search on the internet, I find a lot of great stuff through articles that show up in my google news feed.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

If I find a book I like, I usually read everything by that author. Beyond that, I rely very heavily on what books are popular, I"ll admit. This is partly because they are likely to be good books, but also partly because my chances of being able to discuss them with others go up.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
nicky11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nicky11 »

When I choose which book to start reading, I first of all decide in which genre it should be. And the choice of genre depends on my mood.
Then when I decided, then I start looking on the Internet for ratings of books in this genre. I look at the ratings on various sites, go through the options, read the reviews, read the descriptions of the plots, and choose the books that interest me the most.
Sometimes this search can take several days. But mostly after that, I have not one version of the book I want to read, but several. All those that I liked, I add to my wish list on the phone. By the way, there are already so many books that it seems to me that my whole life is not enough to read it all.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Reading the reviews is my most helpful method I use when I want to try reading a new book. But when I am browsing and I came across a good synopsis, you can bet on that that I will pick that book.
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

My friends usually recommend books to me. They know exactly what I like to read and that's why I always trust them. This way I’ve come across a lot of books that are now my favourite books. 
megachirops
Currently Reading: Witch Is Where Magic Lives Now (A Witch P.I. Mystery #37)
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by megachirops »

I usually have such a backlog in my "to be read" list that it's just a matter of picking one I'm "in the mood" for at that moment. But when the list runs low or nothing on it "clicks" right then, I'll start researching subjects and/or authors that I've enjoyed in the past to see what's new that I might be interested in.
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

Sometimes, I go by recommendation. But at other times, when I see a fascinating title, I check to see what the book is about and if it interests me, then fine.
Birthright06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birthright06.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Birthright06 »

If it's a paperback, I looked at the cover, then read the blurb/ summary. If it's an ebook i read the blurb and reviews. :)
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I imterested in non fiction reads especially motivational and health related books. As such, those are my driving points whenever I want to choose a book.
single churro
Currently Reading: The Russian Lieutenant
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-single-churro.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by single churro »

My deciding factor to read a book is the blurb, if the blurb can't make you want to read it right then and there, the book can't enamor you as well. Sometimes I like a particular facet of the book, but I am not sure if I want to commit to it fully yet, then I read a single review of the book from a reputed source. I try to find a neutral review, so as not to influence me too much.

Surprisingly I don't mind a bad cover page or poor writing style when deciding to read a book. As long as the writing lets me understand everything in the book that is going on, I am a happy churro.
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

That is a very interesting way to select what to read!

I am a "judge a book by its cover" kind of person. Sometimes, if I've kept up with reading, I'll look out for things by authors I've read previously. Otherwise, while I'm just out, it's all about the cover. Most of the time, I go to the YA fantasy section, but I also like books on true crime, horror, psychology. The book has to LOOK interesting to me. If it passes that test, I read the summary. Sometimes, a book looks better than it reads. I'm a little shallow, but I always dig deeper. :wink: :lol2:
Magidi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magidi.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by Magidi »

The first thing I came sure of, is that the book is non-fiction becuase I love non-fiction books. The next thing is the book cover and title, if that is interesting. The last thing is the summary of the book. I am a sucker for self-help books and motivational books.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

First I go to the genre I'm interested in. If I come across an intriguing title I click and read the overview. If I'm not convinced with the overview then I go in search of online reviews to make sure it's a good fit for me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”