What's the first book that you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

My memory is far from perfect, but I think the first book that I read was Green Eggs & Hamm by Dr. Seuss. I was reading Dr. Seuss the other day to my baby niece, and now I realize that the man was insane. :lol: He was talking about fictional creatures which don't exist. I couldn't even read the books to my niece without laughing.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
knightss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by knightss »

Dr. Seuss was a little crazy lol but some of his stories also had political meaning even though they were made for little children. I think it was yurtle the turtle that was about a tryanny. He also wrote a lot about WWII.

... my earliest recollection of reading a book was one w/ grover from sesame street. it was about the monster at the end of the book so he tries everything not to get to the end of the book but on the last page it's only him. he was the monster at the end of the book haha. it was great. i was gonna say i can't recall the name but i looked it up and of course it's call The Monster at the End of This Book lol i recommend this to anyone w/ children or young cousins.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

I remember the one with Grover! "There's a monster at the end of this book!" I read it at least once a week at work.

The first book I read was probably a Dr. Seuss.
fatoldbag96

Post by fatoldbag96 »

Sorry but being of an older age and English as well I can not remember the first book I read but I do remember reading Little Women with my mum when I was very young and that book still remains very special for me.
Other favourites from my childhood were Enid Blyton Famous Five Books and Anna Sewell - Black Beauty.
Heen

Post by Heen »

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was the first book I read. :D
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

The first book I can remember reading (which I doubt was the first I actually read) was a funny little book called I'm Going to New York to Visit the Queen. I can't remember the author, but I think the book is still in a box at my Mother's house.

Dr Seuss would have been early reads for me, as well as Where the Wild Things Are.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

kano

Post by kano »

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton is the first book I really read--not counting children's books that I can't remember reading.
knightss

Post by knightss »

sleepydumpling wrote:The first book I can remember reading (which I doubt was the first I actually read) was a funny little book called I'm Going to New York to Visit the Queen. I can't remember the author, but I think the book is still in a box at my Mother's house.

Dr Seuss would have been early reads for me, as well as Where the Wild Things Are.
haha i was at borders yesterday browsing the kids section just for the fun of it and came across where the wild things are. i used to love that book and the artwork is great =).
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Did you know they're making it into a movie knightss? All costumed characters. I don't know a real lot about it, but it has a lot of Aussie input I believe.

DriftwoodJames

Post by DriftwoodJames »

Goodnight Moon.

I like it better as portrayed by Christopher Walken, during an episode of the simpsons.

J. Edward Nolan
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Where the Wild Things Are was the first book I read entirely by myself. I was 3 and my mom made me read it at a Tahnbksgiving dinner in front of the whole family. Looking back now, I think she was showing off. It's still one of my favorite books.
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Apparently though, reading at an early age does not help with typing spelling errors. Thanksgiving anybody?
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Heh heh - it doesn't help with pronounciation either... hands up if you have ever thought the following:

Misled was pronounced mizzled
Segue was pronounced SEGyooEEE
Awry was pronounced orrWREE

Cos I'll admit, as someone who learnt their vocabulary through reading, it has happened to me many times!

LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

I still mispronounce words I a know the meaning of. I learned all of my "impressive words" through books. A major plus in the essay writing world- a downfall in the debate world. I used to write all my debates first,a nd then got to the pronunciation key of the dictionatry and spell them phonetically in ( ) next to the words for my speeches, just to be sure. Once you make that mistake once.... Smart kids are merciless...

My fiance loves to call me on that now. It brings him joy because I'm a grammar Nazi. And then I kick him. We love each other.
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

I still mispronounce words I a know the meaning of. I learned all of my "impressive words" through books. A major plus in the essay writing world- a downfall in the debate world. I used to write all my debates first,a nd then got to the pronunciation key of the dictionatry and spell them phonetically in ( ) next to the words for my speeches, just to be sure. Once you make that mistake once.... Smart kids are merciless...

My fiance loves to call me on that now. It brings him joy because I'm a grammar Nazi. And then I kick him. We love each other.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”