What's the first book that you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kaytie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kaytie »

I have a "reader's vocabulary" too. My husband mocks me for it, but I get to mock him for other things so it works out.

I also have a tendency to make up words. Neologisms are my friends!

The first book I read? I've no idea, but I'm going with The Poky Little Puppy.

sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Another early book of mine was The Rabbit's Loose Tooth. I remember the illustrations were mega cute.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

bplayfuli

Post by bplayfuli »

The first book I can remember reading is "The Hungry Thing." The Hungry Thing just shows up in this village one day and is like, "feed me," so they do. I still have that book, along with "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs," which is the most seriously awesome kids book ever!

Of course I also read all the Dr. Seuss books, Roald Dahl, and Judy Blume I could get my hands on. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing"

Now that I think of it, most of those are pretty dark books for a kid. It explains a lot, really
butterflykisses427

Post by butterflykisses427 »

Wow I can't remember the first book I read. I do remember getting one book out of the library. It was about a knight and I believe it was written by Steven Kellogg. I do remember getting really into the Baby Sitters Club in fourth grade.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I once had a beautiful book called Christmas with the Savages, but I can't remember the author. It was about an only child who went to live with a big rowdy family of children and learned to play and imagine and have fun. My step-father threw out a lot of my books some years ago, and I wish I still had this one.

searching

Post by searching »

I thought I was the only one who messed up pronunciations like that. My family will never let me live down pronouncing antiques - an-ti-cues.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

searching wrote:I thought I was the only one who messed up pronunciations like that. My family will never let me live down pronouncing antiques - an-ti-cues.
So did I!!! So glad I'm not alone!

awelker

Post by awelker »

the first book that i read was One Fish, Two fish, Red fish, blue fish by the doctor himself. I was like four but my mom seems to think that i just memorized the book because it was read to me so often, that was my older brothers punishment, was reading to me. let me tell you he was in trouble a lot, so i got lots of books read to me.
msstroda

Post by msstroda »

I remember reading The Little Prince and a book called The Changeling. I can't really remember which was first but I loved them both. My sister remembers the first book she ever read as well, it was called When I Go To Bed. She has been looking for a copy of it for years now but we can't seem to find one. Any help from anyone here? Any ideas where to look?
Bumpy6994

Post by Bumpy6994 »

eeermmm....... The Giving Tree, that's it for sure :D
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

msstroda I would suggest Global Books in Print to start with, to see if it is still in print. Then at least you'd have an ISBN to go with and try Amazon to see if they could get it for you.

http://www.globalbooksinprint.com

Rebeca Darklight

Post by Rebeca Darklight »

My first book was Little Women. It was a Christmas present and I liked it a lot.
Linda

Post by Linda »

i cant remember my first real book? i remember really liking Black Beauty as a kid and also this book about Cleopatra. oh and one titled 'Julie' about a girl living in alaska. wow good times.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

I honestly don't know since that was such a long time ago, but I do know that my favorite books when I was really little were Sesame Street books and the Bernstein Bears. I'm willing to bet it was one of those.
Anna

Post by Anna »

I remember reading the same books over and over again in first grade, because my parents made me. And you'd think i'd remember what they were, but nope. But my all time fav books as a kid were The Wishing Chair and The Magic Faraway Tree and the Narnia Chronicles. Also, who remembers the Baby-Sitters club, Goosebumps and Sweet Valley High? Everyone I knew in primary school used to read them. Aaahh, memories...
________
BMW 114 HISTORY
Last edited by Anna on 24 Feb 2011, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”