Are there any books you refuse to read because they are too popular?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Re: Are there any books you refuse to read because they are too popular?

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Although people may have a "right" to place themselves in a group that refuses to do things because they are popular, I personally have not learned that what is popular is always wrong or not valuable or worthy. I possibly haven't learned the opposite, either. I don't even know if I would like that - to know that if something is popular, then it is not good enough. It would make things safer, but perhaps I'm a little more adventurous. I think that there might be more dangerous or riskier things in life than reading a book that is popular. Maybe the books that might be that dangerous, should be locked away. I was once told that I was "bad" or "evil" (I think that word was actually used) for reading Dante's The Inferno. That is one opinion and maybe that mindset works fine for the individual in question, but not for me. I'm part Italian and so was Dante and why would I not read it?
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I resisted reading The Da Vinci Code for a long time. Then my curiosity got the better of me, I just had to see what they hype was all about. I thought it was suspenseful and the story was good, but I felt that the writing was atrocious and it didn't seem to have been proofread, which astounded me!

Yes, I am a bit of a book snob, I was a literature major. I think a lot of mass market books make better movies, especially action stories. I was annoyed by 50 Shades because it was like people reacted to it as if erotica hadn't already been around for like hundreds of years and that author had invented it; really made me mad. I wanted to see the movies but then I didn't like the two lead actors so I have skipped them.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

For me 'The Fault in our Stars' was over-hyped. I think it was the popularity, or rather the peer pressure that influenced my opinion of it. But usually the popularity doesn't affect my reading options or my judgement.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

Yes, first I will refuse. But then my curiosity would kill me to read and know why is the book so popular.
AdrianaNunez
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by AdrianaNunez »

All the books that comment, Harry Potter, the selection and fifty leftovers of Gray, are common books and I think that everyone should read them sometime in their life, personally I could give a particular opinion on each book, but in this case on "the selection ”It is a saga with a story that grabs you and you want to know what will happen to the characters. It is an easy book to read and very entertaining.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Reynaa wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:32 I agree with others, I refuse to read 50 Shades of Gray. I have read many reviews from authors saying the writing is trash but many people like to hop on the band wagon, making dumb things popular. I also refuse to read Girl, Wash Your Face for the same reason. People say it's "powerful" and "inspiring", others say it's all quotes from Pinterest. 💁
YES!!!! I actually wanted to read Shades of Gray. for myself to see, because I wanted to form my own opinion. I. didn't get far because it was sooooooooo graphic. I taught English, and my biggest pet peeve was parents hating books they've never read themselves. I want to be accountable myself, but SOG was trashy. I've also heard the same for Girl, Wash Your Face.
AnnaMarie Collins
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamarie-collins.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnaMarie Collins »

I'll read pretty much anything, as long as it's well-written. I love Harry Potter, but I also love indie authors.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I will not refuse to read a book just because it is popular. If it seems interesting and I like the genre then I will definitely read it.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

I don't think the popularity of a book can ever make me feel like not reading it. However, I think if a book is popular, it must have changed the mind of a lot of people and that's why they keep talking about it. I will read any book even more with enthusiasm if it's popular.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Of course. I do not care whether a book is popular or unpopular. As against popular notions, I will go after that book that has been talked about by many to see if their rating is fully justified.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”