How important is expanding your vocabulary to you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: How important is expanding your vocabulary to you?

Post by HeatherEi »

This is very important to me. I know when I read more, my vocabulary improves and I find that I am able to express myself better.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Expanding your vocabulary is always important, for me especially my English vocabulary as it's not my primary language.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Allybear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Allybear »

I can definitely say that reading has established a better vocabulary for me. I will oftentimes be reading and discover a word I do not know and have to look it up and more often than not I will remember that word and use it in my day to day. I find that I sound more intelligent just because I read and discover new words and love that fact about myself.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

alex_r_101 wrote: 26 Dec 2011, 12:54 Hey guys I'm new to the forum, and I guess what pushed me to join was a great curiosity to see how important it is for other reading folk to expand their vocabulary through reading or other methods. Personally it's really important for me, and I manage to work on it pretty consistently.

How important is it, and what methods do you use? Would you even be willing to spend money on it if it really helped you?

Thanks for your feedback everyone. :D
It is important but I don't go too hard on myself about that. I learn new words by another simply checking the dictionary for their meaning.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Sammy822
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy822.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Sammy822 »

It is extremely important to me. I used to struggle with my grades in Eng Lit and actually started reading to improve my vocabulary. Now, reading is just second nature for me, and improvement in vocabulary an added bonus that comes with it.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I do find that expanding my vocabulary is important to me, and it's something I regularly work on. If I'm reading a book and I see phrases or words that I don't understand, I enjoy learning the meaning and trying to understand them. I do think that I spend less time expanding my vocabulary now than I did when I was younger just because when I communicate with people I still have to explain the meanings and it defeats the purpose, but I still use the language in academic and professional writing
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I don't really read to expand my vocabulary anymore. I used to do that when I was reading classics mainly but now I just want to enjoy myself.
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

It is very important to me. In my career I have to do a lot of speaking, I do not have to use big words to confuse anyone... I just want to have good structure and flow and my books have helped me with that a lot.
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

I would say reading definitely has. I don't find it important so much as I enjoy being able to use words in different contexts, and understanding other people's way of speaking:)
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

I love words. I love to find new ways of expressing myself. And I love using words that express my feelings as acurate as possible. I also love word structure and word origins. So yeah expanding my vocab is important to me and reading is a fun way to do it.
Maslina
Currently Reading: DentistryXposed
Bookshelf Size: 1035

Post by Maslina »

Incredibly important as words and their origins fascinate me. It is also helpful for learning languages which I am doing.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I agree with others here. English isn't my first language and I always try to expand my vocabulary and get new words and expressions to use. And I find reading so useful with it.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

It's pretty important to me. I love learning new words so I am constantly on the look outfor new words I don't know.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

I have a background in English literature. Though I don't agree, people from science or other backgrounds expect English major students to have a rich vocab.

So, I think it's important for me.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The Awakening by Davina Reddic

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I feel being a book reviewer on onlinebookclub could be one way. It enriches reading, broadens our reading scope with new books we've never read before, and all these actions open opportunities for us to better understand language.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”