How important is expanding your vocabulary to you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Miriam Ratemo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: On The Receiving End by Sheila J. Brooks RN, BSN

Re: How important is expanding your vocabulary to you?

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

I think reading is a great way to expand your vocabulary. I can't say its one of the reasons why I read but it's definitely a great benefit of reading.

In terms of methods you could always try the Word of the day gambit, to learn and use a new word each day. Having a dictionary with you when you read is also a great way.
Samantha Castanyares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Samantha Castanyares »

For me, it is so important in order to communicate my complicated thoughts and feelings to other people. It is also important for me to impress others with my deep vocabulary.
João Ramos
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Walk Her Up the Stairs by Loretta Fox

Post by João Ramos »

Now that I'm learning French, reading is essential for this language. For English, it is no longer critical.
Dipak Roshiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dipak-roshiya.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Dipak Roshiya »

Ohh it's extremely important to me. I am a verbal person and ever expanding vocabulary aids me to express my thoughts more accurately.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”