Can you stand people who HATE books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Re: Can you stand people who HATE books?

Post by anomalocaris »

So here's the thing... I have these friends who won't go on rattlesnake dens with me. They hate rattlesnakes, and most of them have never even SEEN a real rattlesnake. They don't know anything about them, and don't want to know anything about them. They have these huge misconceptions about them, which they're going to continue to believe, regardless of any attempt to give them better information. So, I guess I should say I can't stand people like that. I won't though, because I recognize that my being passionate about something doesn't mean everyone else in the world has to love it too. Thank God, because I really hate football.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

anomalocaris wrote:So here's the thing... I have these friends who won't go on rattlesnake dens with me. They hate rattlesnakes, and most of them have never even SEEN a real rattlesnake. They don't know anything about them, and don't want to know anything about them. They have these huge misconceptions about them, which they're going to continue to believe, regardless of any attempt to give them better information. So, I guess I should say I can't stand people like that. I won't though, because I recognize that my being passionate about something doesn't mean everyone else in the world has to love it too. Thank God, because I really hate football.
Lol!

Very well put! :-)
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
skisch73
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skisch73.html

Post by skisch73 »

yes as long as they didnt try and persuade me not to read books. I realize reading isnt for everyone. Just ask my 12 year old nephew lol..
sangeetha_nk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeetha-nk.html

Post by sangeetha_nk »

I don't mind them as long as they don't try to stop me reading. I get extremely angry when someone comments on my reading habit. If someone tries, well, it will be their greatest mistake. I will lecture till their ears bleed!
Nimbus Wolfsbane
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimbus-wolfsbane.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Nimbus Wolfsbane »

As long as it doesn't effect me, I don't matter.
With each page you turn another life you live...
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

I really don't care if others hate books. It is their problem, not mine. I would be worried if my kids said they hate books. But for rest of the world, it really isn't my business!
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I can understand not liking to read. Everyone does what they want with their free time. But hating books is a bit too much. I especially don't understand those that pick on people that like reading.
GreenBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenbookworm.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by GreenBookworm »

We are all different and that is ok. Until they don't start annoying me willfully, or disrespect the fact that I am a bookworm, I can accept them. But if they will keep forcint their opinion at me, they better get as from me as possible.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I have to. Too many of my friends cannot stand to read. However, as long as they respect that I am reading and do not bother me, we tend to get along.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

If they don't disturb me from reading I have no problem or hate for them. I am fortunate that I have never been in a situation where someone doesn't want to see me read a book.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Sometimes, when a person really hate books and neglect their books, I usually cannot stand them. My! I love books and I don't like it when books are just misplaced everywhere. Books need to be taken care of.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I don't think I can stand book haters except if we hate the same book.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

Yes I don't mind. But if you are constantly like making fun of me every time I pull out my book or talk about books then we have a problem. I don't mind you not liking books but putting others down for liking books is just immature and mean in my opinion.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I mean if they HATE books then I will try to avoid them. If they don't like reading or don't care about books in general, I can live with them.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

In the past I struggled to understand why people didn’t enjoy reading like I did. But now, podcasts have become extremely helpful for people to learn and engage new ideas, so it’s not as bad as before. For instance, some of my favorite authors have podcasts, so I can refer my non-reader friends to the podcast instead of a book they won’t pick up.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”