Can you stand people who HATE books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TimeKeeperApprentice
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 6470

Can you stand people who HATE books?

Post by TimeKeeperApprentice »

I cannot stand book-haters. A reason why I dislike book-haters is that they Judge the Book by it's cover and page number. For example, my classmate Ximena{Spanish name} held one of my Harry Potter books and immediately said the book was boring just because there were a lot of pages. She didn't even read it! When I ask her to read the back of the book she still thought it was boring. Can you believe that!? She didn't even give it chance. That's what I hate about book-haters.{Not including people who can't read.}
Potter Fan Forever
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

IMO it's a little bit irrational to hate books .... they are inanimate objects after all, you might as well say you hate chairs or spoons.
But I know what you mean I've had people look at the new Stephen King book & literally roll their eyes at the prospect that anyone would voluntarily take on to read 700+ pages ... I just say casually that some of us like a challenge!
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Hate is a very strong word, I have come across many people who just have no interest in books at all, thats hard to understand but I wouldn't say I hate them......just can't figure them out, but each to their own you know, just steer clear of them. :lol:
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Like what the others said, "Hate" seems too harsh, especially for a book. It is just text on pages really. I don't care for people who dislike books, it is, of course there interest on things. Not mine, some people probably dislike them due to having a large amount of pages or text being too confusing but hey, it's their problem.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Hate is kind of a harsh word, Ive known people who dont like to read anything more then comic books or the sports page in a newspaper, and some people who never read anything at all. I dont think they hate books, they just dont like to read. My boys are like that, they never read anything. But thats their business, it dosent matter to me.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Are you asking about people who 'hate' all books in general or people who hate specific books, particularly hate certain books without having read those books? In either case, I guess it is a little frustrating.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

I don't think that I know of anyone who actually hates books, although there are plenty of my acquaintances that dislike reading or are just completely indifferent to it. It doesn't really bother me, and when they make a comment on a book without having read it or even knowing what it is about I just tend to ignore them since I know they don't know what they are talking about. I guess the only thing that annoys me is when people harp on about me reading instead of accepting that that's what I like to do in the same way that I accept that they don't.
BloodyNine

Post by BloodyNine »

I agree with RuqeeD.

I have a friend that pretends he likes to read, I think he believes people will think he is more intellectual if he reads books regularly, but skips most of the description and generally never finishes a book. He then gives me his educated opinion on the books I borrow him =( which is generally negative due to the fact he skipped through half of it and gave up. I have met many people like this, and that makes me sad - sorry for my little rant, I’m going to have a biscuit now =)

I believe people who say that hate books are generally scared by them, as many of the wonderful people on here have previously said it is silliness to hate a book.
pa3de8
Favorite Author: Brian Keene
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: Great Train Wrecks of Eastern PA
fav_author_id: 25750

Post by pa3de8 »

I don't know anyone who hates books. I do know people who hate reading and as a younger person I hated to read. Felt that I could be spending my time doing something more constructive or destructive(depending on how old I was). But as I got older I found that I really do enjoy reading and taking time to read.

Of course there are many people who know me who say that I should put my time to better use instead of reading. My answer to that is that I did all that when I was younger and now I want to expand my horizons(with fiction books???). I don't feel the need to be on the go and out partying like I did when I was younger. Now I just enjoy a quiet evening or afternoon at home in my comfy chair, reading a good book. I do go out, I'm no hermit. My girlfriend wouldn't allow that but she, like me, is an avid reader.

So to those who hate books I say; You go around with your busy lives. That is the lifestyle you wish to lead. I prefer a good read over running around like a chicken without a head any day!

Scott B.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Maybe they don't hate books, maybe they don't read books because they have never been exposed to the right book for them. It's a two-way street, listen to their passion just as you would hope they listen to yours.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
love_aud
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by love_aud »

Yeah I can't stand it. My boyfriend doesn't hate books but he rarely reads them (trying to get him to change his mind :lol: slowly but surely!). In high school I was the only kid you would find there nose deep in a book and it frustrated me, everyone always complained when we had to read a new book and I couldn't keep myself contained! It pissed me off to no end.
Love Audrey, future photojournalist/writer :)
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

BloodyNine wrote: I believe people who say that hate books are generally scared by them, as many of the wonderful people on here have previously said it is silliness to hate a book.
Scared by books, aye? I don't follow you on that one, if you're talking about Horror Books. I'm scared by them as well! :lol:
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Jackosaurus
Favorite Author: Stephen King
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jackosaurus »

If you like something, what does it matter if someone else doesn't?
TimeKeeperApprentice
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by TimeKeeperApprentice »

Woah . This became a popular topic. Hehe..
@Jackosaurus What if they make fun of it?
Potter Fan Forever
smurphy-
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: The Sound and the Fury
Currently Reading: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by smurphy- »

As long as they are not engaging in book-burning or trying to convince me that they are right then it doesn't bother me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”