Can you stand people who HATE books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bella_0772
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bella-0772.html

Re: Can you stand people who HATE books?

Post by Bella_0772 »

I don't dislike people who hate books, as long as they don't bash books. I understand that reading is not for everyone, just like anything else in life. Sometimes I do feel sorry for them though.
miztree46
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miztree46.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by miztree46 »

People who hate books may have been forced to read a book that didn't find interesting so they have made a judgement about all books based on the one book they were forced to read. I feel sorry for them because they don't allow themselves to be open to new ways of thinking or new ways of seeing the world.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

I tend to feel a bit sorry for them. They are missing out on so much in life. :(
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
jaguilar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaguilar.html

Post by jaguilar »

I've not really met anyone who hates books per-say, I do think your note at the end regarding illiteracy is more important to this question then you gave it credit for, a lot of people who say they "hate" reading really can't read or can't read up to age standard and therefore have more given up then "hate" books, additionally come to think of it many people who I have addressed who didn't read had intensive daily life/death, eat/starve issues in their worlds and didn't have time for pleasure reading in their desperate attempts just to make it through the day. Then you have to calculate in the fad of text language that condenses entire paragraphs into a single series of letters and symbols I can see that Harry Potter my be very daunting to a person that can't take the time to spell out a single word. Interesting line of thought
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Nope, my only emotion is " pity " for their tremendous loss...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
mland2000
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mland2000.html

Post by mland2000 »

I don't hate people who hate books, but I don't understand people who don't read for pleasure. A book fits anywhere, and is the best entertainment I know while waiting for a doctor's appointment, a dmv transaction, etc. Reading enhances vocabulary, too. I am married to a non-reader. He has 3 degrees-1 BS and 2 Masters. He likes numbers and not words. I don't get it. I think people who don't read for pleasure are missing out!
SedefOzbay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sedefozbay.html

Post by SedefOzbay »

I dont know. Any prejudice can easily be annoying. But if there is some psychological reason maybe, then it may not be so bad. And of course it is about how much it reflects on daily life.
Andreina M
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreina-m.html

Post by Andreina M »

I don't hate them, it's just sad that they don't get to experience what books offer. On the other hand when they act upon people who love to read well i get mad. Once when i was in 11th grade i was reading this john grisham book and my friends were annoyed with me because i read too much so they decided to hide my book, eventually i found it and they apologized, two of them even gave the book a chance and liked it, but still seriously don't mess with my books.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html

Post by sybil1reader »

I wouldn't say that I hate them, but I do feel sorry for them because they don't know what they are missing. I say to each his own, but you will never know unless you try it. :?:
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

I don't understand how you can hate books. Perhaps there not your thing, but can you really hate a book?
Caz1+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Post by Caz1+ »

Can't say I have ever met a book hater. I have met plenty of people who may only read a book once every few years. They don't really want to talk about books although I don't think they would say they hate books just they would rather do other things than read.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

Caz1+ wrote:Can't say I have ever met a book hater. I have met plenty of people who may only read a book once every few years. They don't really want to talk about books although I don't think they would say they hate books just they would rather do other things than read.
Yes I agree - not sure about some of the patronising comments - "I feel sorry for them, they are missing out on life" etc

My son isn't much of a reader - he is a sporty active person, has to be doing something active, not good at solitary activities like reading books.

Cant say I feel sorry for him though - why would I? he has a full and happy life.

He might be going out to a party on a Saturday night and feel sorry for me stuck home with a book - all just depends on your perspective. :D
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I don't think I know anyone who actually hates books. I know plenty of people who are indifferent and don't particularly care for them. That's okay by me. I don't particularly care to watch tv, so we can relate. I do know plenty of people who hate specific books that they've read or have decided that they don't ever want to read particular titles. This is also okay if there are reasons, and there usually are. What would bother me is if someone were to make judgments about me based on my love of reading (i.e., that I'm a nerd/have no life/lack social skills) without any other corroborating evidence.
Liz-Nina94

Post by Liz-Nina94 »

Maud Fitch wrote:Maybe they don't hate books, maybe they don't read books because they have never been exposed to the right book for them. It's a two-way street, listen to their passion just as you would hope they listen to yours.

this is exactly what i was thinking! i find it hard to believe that if anyone had felt the same anticipation i felt when waiting for the release of every harry potter book, or the enjoyment i felt when reading the girl with the dragon tattoo where the only downfall was the inability to read at a super quick pace. if they have never felt the joy of staying up late, refusing to go to bed until the book has been finished, i can see why they do not see reading as such an enjoyment.

sometimes, i find that other activities which i find no passion for, i find enjoyment at seeing the passion others enjoy.
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

I don't think I have met anyone who truly hates books. There are many that don't enjoy reading, but even then, I have known them to read something if it truly interests them.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”