Past vs. Present

For June 2016, we will be reading Travel Fiction/Non-Fiction.
afrakes
Currently Reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afrakes.html

Past vs. Present

Post by afrakes »

This month's genre discussion is travel fiction/non-fiction. Do you prefer to read travel fiction books that transport you to the past or to the present? Why do you prefer that time period?
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I definitely prefer historical modern fiction over novels that take place in the future. I like that each time period in the past has its own unique characteristics, to the point where the era doesn't even have to be explicitly stated and yet it's still easily guessed from context. Although I like novels set in alternate universes, almost no one envisions bright futures in their novels, and sometimes thinking about the future is a little too depressing.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

It depends on the era for me. While I do like historical fiction, there are certain eras that hold little interest for me. I really enjoy the early and mid 20th century. I am rarely interesting in reading books that take place in Medieval times.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

katiesquilts wrote:I definitely prefer historical modern fiction over novels that take place in the future. I like that each time period in the past has its own unique characteristics, to the point where the era doesn't even have to be explicitly stated and yet it's still easily guessed from context. Although I like novels set in alternate universes, almost no one envisions bright futures in their novels, and sometimes thinking about the future is a little too depressing.
I completely agree with "The future is a little too depressing" statement you made. I find reading books that are set in the past, not picky on era, are more interesting for me than those that are based in the future. Don't get me wrong, I find books that are about the future fascinating, but as I am currently reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (wonderful read so far, by the way), the talk of the desolate wasteland that becomes Earth is disheartening. I too see a trend with much of the books I read that are based on the future, which is generally Earth being doomed. I also love reading stories that are developed on alternate realities, past or present timeline.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I prefer the ones that travel to the past or stay in the present. They feel a little more inspiring and feel a little lighter, since you know it all works out in the end. Future never seems to end the way you want it to.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Post by LarkSpur25 »

Personally I like books that travel back in time. To me it doesn't have to be a specific Time period, it just has to be interesting and have romance. I'm a romance kind of person :D.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoy "traveling" to different places and different times. What is most important is that the author takes me there in a way that makes me want to be there.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I enjoy reading books that are based on the past or that have been written a long time ago. I don't really like reading about the future because most futuristic books have some aspect of science-fiction, which I don't prefer. Although I don't think a book needs to be based in a different time era to transport us, any books that are based in a different, vibrant location can help us escape. :)

Return to “June 2016 Genre Discussion”