Emotions and Food

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Naghma Qureshi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Icon Emotions and Food

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

Do certain foods arouse some emotions in us or do we eat because we are facing a certain emotion?

I think both are true. For example, we know how sugar-rich foods enhance moods for many of us - be it cakes, ice-creams, or other desserts.

But my focus here in this post is the foods that we eat when we go through a certain emotion.
Just think about what foods you enjoy quite often. Healthy or junk all are included. Now think deeper and see if there is a common emotion you see yourself in before having those foods. That is your emotional craving for that particular emotion.

For example, I crave salty, fried snacks like fritters or Samosas or Kebabs when I'm feeling happy or excited. I am not very fond of sugary treats but I go to my favorite dark-chocolate bar whenever I'm feeling low. (Not saying that I don't eat them otherwise!) I especially crave some iced tea or lemonade with potato chips when I am sad.

If you have read this far then I have engaged your interest. I truly appreciate it! :) Thus I would ask you to focus on one more question, which is completely optional. After feeling an emotion and then eating a particular food, how do you feel then? Mostly, we'll see some change in our emotions before and after eating that food. If the first emotion was a negative one, then there will be a soothing change in it after eating that food.
What say? Isn't that food for thought? :P

Please share if you could relate. Which emotion and which food were you thinking about while reading this far? :wink2:

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”