What crafty thing are you working on?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Re: What crafty thing are you working on?

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

Although not a craft, I have been doing tai chi. I find it so relaxing and mentally calming. I enjoy cooking, which again, isn't a craft, but it can be very creative.
TrishaCleve
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishacleve.html
Latest Review: Shadows by William Stephen Edwards

Post by TrishaCleve »

Merits Anih wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 15:05 I'm actually not into any craft at the moment, but I wish I could be. What kind of craft can I engage in? I'm working most of the time and reading for the rest. Is there a craft I can squeeze in?
Good morning all :)
To that question, I would like to suggest a couple of things that are crafty that can be done while reading. I a not sure what your profession is, but maybe there too. They are things that. before an incident in 2012 that left me permanently disabled, I could accomplish while I was reading. I tried to make these things work while I was listening to audiobooks as well.
Crochet.
That one will take some practice, but when a body gets the hang of crochet, it is possible. I remember being able to watch television and read while making a blanket, lets say. My fingers just knew what to do to get the job done.
Try out new Hair Braids or fashions for long hair.
Currently, I try out new ways to fashion my hair and read simultaneously. My hair is mega long...almost to the top of my thighs. As you can imagine, there are plenty of braids, up-dos, and half-up-do's to learn. Im not really sure if that is considered crafting. If it is not, it should be.
Good Luck and keep me posted on your successes in this area. :)
:techie-reference:
Trisha Lee
The Dodo Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-dodo-writer.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by The Dodo Writer »

Gravy wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 22:22 Beings this forum now includes crafts, what crafty things are you working on?

Like many people recently, I've been busy sewing masks for my family.

I've also dabbled in countless other crafts over time, and love hearing what everyone is working on!
I am in the process of getting materials for my new pop-up book. It's going to be the best I have ever made. I wish I could share pictures.
DeeDee16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DeeDee16 »

I'm more into beads and yarn. I make mats, jewelry and pretty much whatever I can make work from that. I would like to take up crocheting but my schedule is quite packed.
Melissa Katherine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-katherine.html
Latest Review: True Teryn by S.G. Blaise

Post by Melissa Katherine »

I've recently picked up crocheting. I'm currently working on creating my own pattern for a coffee cozy of Sam from the movie Trick R Treat.
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

I’m not crafty but I do enjoy putting together scrapbooks of family pictures.
Mystic_2023
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystic-2023.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Mystic_2023 »

I love that this forum is on crafty things. I work on making rollerball essential oils, crocheting, and bracelets. I like working with floss and hemp to make bracelets. I also like to draw and have recently gotten back into it.
Mariam Ibraheem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-ibraheem.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Mariam Ibraheem »

I have a lot of things I’m working on because I'm very creative and someone times I wonder how I get so lucky to have such knowledge. I hope my new project work out
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Recently, I fell back in love with coloring. I have loved coloring since kindergarten, and I lost touch with it as I got older. A friend of mine is an artist, and drawing is her specialty. She draws the picture, and I color it. I like to use gel pens, markers, and colored pencils, depending on the canvas material and image.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Connie Defoe
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Connie Defoe »

Hello EVERYONE!!!
What I am working on is a bracelet I thought was peyote stitch, nope, it is definitely more involved then I thought.

Well some of you may know the item as a Nepal Bracelet, some would say would say it's a rope bracelet of sorts. Either way I'll explain...

It is 750-1000 beads that are crocheted into a bracelet, of tiny beads; very tiny I'd say ⅒ of an inch in size; maybe. A little over a year ago, I was gifted one. I thought, this is absolutely beautiful; I have got to learn how to make this! Well, needless to say; 1 year later I am still struggling with this little 750-1000 beads on a thread, trying to crochet this to make it, as if it was made by one of those wonderful women in Katmandu. (Where they originate) As these women make them so perfectly, so beautifully, and with a pattern. So quickly, efficiently, moving their fingers. I am so amazed by the styles and the beautiful designs. I can make any thing from a native patterns, to stars & comets. Yet I struggle with this, I write names, design dreamcatcher earrings, I paint beautiful sceneies and I love doing this. I am begining to thing I may never get a hang of this specific pattern. Maybe it is time for me to top trying so hard on this one and it will come to me when I give up? Who knows, so far the only thing that seems to happen; is I keep stabbing my little finger tips, with tiny crochet hooks as I try hard, to teach myself.

Maybe I will take the trip and be taught by them in person, as it is an option.

I wish I could post pics I don't know how... :eusa-think:
Ibrahim Hammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-hammed.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Hammed »

I don't know whether this qualifies as artsy, but I'm working on a system that will revolutionize how we place internet orders. I appreciate you sharing.
Liza Chulukhadze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

It is not much but I want to try making ribbon roses. I have the petals ready. All I need now is to assemble the pieces together.
Rumi Sultan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumi-sultan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Rumi Sultan »

I am learning how to crochet and, painting with gouche colors i recently got really interested in gouche.
TrishaCleve
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishacleve.html
Latest Review: Shadows by William Stephen Edwards

Post by TrishaCleve »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 16 May 2023, 09:59 Recently, I fell back in love with coloring. I have loved coloring since kindergarten, and I lost touch with it as I got older. A friend of mine is an artist, and drawing is her specialty. She draws the picture, and I color it. I like to use gel pens, markers, and colored pencils, depending on the canvas material and image.
I understand falling back in love with coloring. I used to have three out of four walls in my living room covered with coloring pages. Super neat that you have a buddy that is artsy. What a pair you two prolly make :) I used to talk smack on other adults because they were 'wasting' their time with coloring...but I caught the bug a few years ago.
I havent for some time, but I used to get a kick out of the pages that had swear words on them, but, after coloring, they were so beautiful that even my family members noticed the beauty, not the curse words upon first glance. Made me giggle quietly to myself....like I had, unbeknownst to everyone else, plastered colorful curse words all over the walls. F bombs and all. And my grandmother even liked checking out the new additions every few days.
Enjoy yourself :)
:techie-reference:
Trisha Lee
Megan Lea
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Megan Lea »

Currently I am working on painting ideas for a class that I'm going to teach. I just got hired at a community gathering place to be a paint instructor. I'm really excited about this opportunity as I have wanted to do this most of my life. I'm trying to think of something that's simple in case there are beginners, but also something slightly challenging to make it more rewarding where they learn a new technique. It also needs to be something that everybody would want to hang up in their house to showcase their talent. It is a tough process weeding out potential ideas because I have a more eclectic style than most, but also fun gathering and testing out ideas just for fun.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”