Anyone dealt with picky eaters?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Anyone dealt with picky eaters?

Post by Eclecticmama »

I have a five year old that survives off of oatmeal and mac and cheese. I need some tips and tricks to get him to try new foods. Also, keep in mind he is sensitive to different textures of the food, and God save you if part of it is slightly browner than the other part. Seriously. The boy hates change. Help.
Mstuttle0810
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mstuttle0810 »

For us, what has worked is encouraging to try everything on the table even if they don’t think they will like it. Even if they have tried it before because things taste different prepared different ways and their moods also change from day to day
Eclecticmama

Post by Eclecticmama »

Getting him to even try one bite is such a fight. He is very hesitant to try something new, even if he sees other kids doing it, or eating it, and enjoying it. He is such a struggle to get to eat
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Have you done cooking with him? When I was a teacher, the kids loved making their own food and just about always ate it. Maybe try something simple like hot dog roll ups? Take a package of crescent rolls and a package of hot dogs. The kids loved rolling the hot dogs into the crescent rolls and watching them bake in the oven.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Eclecticmama

Post by Eclecticmama »

That's a good idea. He loves helping in the kitchen. Thank you!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

This is just a suggestion, I do not have children. how about you get him really hungry? Not in a cruel way, of course :)). Just take him out for some sports and fresh air, make him run a little, play with some kids. Maybe he will eat more stuff if he will be hungry :D
chiadeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiadeer.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by chiadeer »

I have an 8 year old that would eat anything. I also have a 2 year old that will hardly eat anything, especially fruits and vegetables. I keep trying and I'm hoping that one day he'll get better. In the mean time I add some veggie puree to as many things as possible. Zucchini hides well in Mac and cheese!
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

We have a three bite rule for any new foods. The kids don’t have to eat all of it, but they get nothing else for dinner and they must eat three bites of the new thing. Hunger makes them come around eventually.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

My brother - know 24 - is still the worst person to cook for. Growing up I genuinely don't remember him eating a vegetable (although he must have, my mum would have made sure of it).

I think the general rule is, don't take it out on the kid. Sometimes, they honestly may not like the food; other times, they may just be being awkward. Perhaps saying, "If you don't like this, why don't you try this?" or finding compromise around their food choices.

As someone who has suffered from an eating disorder for their life and had a troubled relationship with food and mealtimes, it's important to educate children about food. Maybe try hiding something they don't like (say a vegetable or fruit), in a dish they love? Like broccoli in mac n cheese, for example?
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I have a 16year old brother who is the worst food taster I have ever met. He doesn't eat vegetables at all and he has keen eyes on onion. Absolutely hates onion and I understand what you're saying about the changes and texture because I have experienced them with him too
Library_Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-library-dragon.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Library_Dragon »

I use to be a picky eater and here is a question for your son. Is he afraid of choking on his food? Because that is what made me flinch away from most meats and other hard to chew foods. I saw a family member almost suffocate and it scared me. Might be worth it to ask him. I doused everything I ate in ketchup for about a year until I got over it.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

As a picky eater myself, one thing my mom did was not to push me to eat something i didn't like (my dad tried that and it just ended with either me crying or me going to the bathroom to flush the offending food (I thought I was really sneaky) to be fair, he was not a very good cook.

So somethings my mom did was make the foods I liked, but she would make herself something different and be very prominent and vocal about how good her food was. That would get me interested. Also, I think she like pretty much told me I couldn't have her food, so that also got me interested haha.

She also took like baby steps with it. For example - if she made me mashed potatoes, she would make herself like cheesy or garlic mashed potatoes so it wasn't a huge change.

I am still a pretty picky eater (Paired with Ulcerative Colitis shorted the "what I eat" list down further) but eventually I started trying more and more foods. Like I never would have imagined that sea food would be my favorite type of food.

also, I think it helped that she started letting me cook with her. I think seeings what goes into making the food help me think it was less gross.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

My sister doesn't eat meat or chicken or fish. She is also very picky with food combinations. It's very hard to find a meal she can both eat and enjoy.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I once paid one of my daughters to eat a squid leg. I think she would have eaten it anyways, but I told both my daughters I would give them each a dollar if they ate a tentacle-covered-leg and one daughter accepted. Otherwise, they weren't very picky eaters, but if you're that concerned. Make a deal. If your child tries something new, you'll do something for them. If you'll try broccoli, I'll read you your favorite bedtime story, you can stay up an hour later each night, or whatever. Once they get over the fear of the new things, it won't be so bad - I think. Let them know that it is important for them to eat other things and that is why you'll willing to do this. On the other hand, once you use this tactic, some children might try to take advantage of it. Good luck!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Maybe a little bit of patience. He will probably grow out of it. Or not.

My little brother used to be a very picky eater for the longest time. He had few things he would eat and even those, he would not eat on days he didn't feel like eating them.
We all used to be worried as everyone else eats a lot.

He then went off to university, came back after his first year with a very healthy appetite. He even eats somethings that I wouldn't eat.

Of course I also have a friend who has always been a picky eater, and still is. You can never get her to eat onions or spaghetti. So...
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”