Recipes that seem hard but aren't

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Julia J 1
Currently Reading: The Priory of the Orange Tree
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-j-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Recipes that seem hard but aren't

Post by Julia J 1 »

I recently made a batch of bread rolls for the first time and was surprised at how easy it was. I came to the conclusion that perhaps recipes that we may consider 'hard' are just maybe more time consuming in preparation and clean up than others.

Does anyone have any recipe suggestions that fall into this category? I'd love to try out new things.
havillah108
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-havillah108.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy

Post by havillah108 »

Swiss meringue buttercream used to frighten me. I thought it would be difficult to make, but I nailed it on the first try.
Julia J 1

Post by Julia J 1 »

Thank you for answering, but I have never heard of this? What are the ingredients involved? I have made a lemon meringue pie that was easier than I thought it would be, just very time consuming.
Michaela Gordoni
Currently Reading: Timeline
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaela-gordoni.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Michaela Gordoni »

Julia J 1 wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:18 I recently made a batch of bread rolls for the first time and was surprised at how easy it was. I came to the conclusion that perhaps recipes that we may consider 'hard' are just maybe more time consuming in preparation and clean up than others.

Does anyone have any recipe suggestions that fall into this category? I'd love to try out new things.
I made Yorkshire Pudding (they're just fluffy bread roll things) but they were actually surprisingly easy. They were good but I think they are overrated tbh.
Matthew Little
Currently Reading: The Invisible Library
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthew-little.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Matthew Little »

Soufflés are often treated like a very difficult bake, but they're really not! They have few ingredients, and if you don't knock the air out when folding in the egg whites they'll turn out perfect every time.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Michaela Gordoni wrote:
Julia J 1 wrote: I recently made a batch of bread rolls for the first time and was surprised at how easy it was. I came to the conclusion that perhaps recipes that we may consider 'hard' are just maybe more time consuming in preparation and clean up than others.

I made Yorkshire Pudding (they're just fluffy bread roll things) but they were actually surprisingly easy. They were good but I think they are overrated tbh.
James Herriot, a British veterinarian who wrote books, talked about how he was once called out to a farm just as his wife was taking the Yorkshire Pudding out of the oven and how bummed he was because it wouldn't be so good after it sat for several hours. I've always wanted to try it ever since reading about it! I'm glad to hear it's not that difficult!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Julia J 1

Post by Julia J 1 »

Matthew Little wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 13:32 Soufflés are often treated like a very difficult bake, but they're really not! They have few ingredients, and if you don't knock the air out when folding in the egg whites they'll turn out perfect every time.
I'll definitely give them a try, what flavor would you recommend? I find the many things that eggs can do on baking to be quite incredible, meringues are so delicious and just simply egg whites and sugar.
Julia J 1

Post by Julia J 1 »

Michaela Gordoni wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 03:17
Julia J 1 wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 10:18 I recently made a batch of bread rolls for the first time and was surprised at how easy it was. I came to the conclusion that perhaps recipes that we may consider 'hard' are just maybe more time consuming in preparation and clean up than others.

I have made Popovers before, which from my knowledge, is the same thing. I think they are a little bit overated, I'd rather just have a fresh roll on the side of my roast dinner. Much easier to make and you don't have to worry about them suddenly deflating.
Pietro Aliquo
Currently Reading: Master the Law of Attraction
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pietro-aliquo.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Pietro Aliquo »

Quiche - one of the easiest meals to put together, impressive to anyone who doesn't know how simple it is to make and you can get really creative with ingredient combos.
Michaela Gordoni
Currently Reading: Timeline
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaela-gordoni.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Michaela Gordoni »

Julia J 1 wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 02:29
Michaela Gordoni wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 03:17

I have made Popovers before, which from my knowledge, is the same thing. I think they are a little bit overated, I'd rather just have a fresh roll on the side of my roast dinner. Much easier to make and you don't have to worry about them suddenly deflating.
I agree!
Julia J 1

Post by Julia J 1 »

Pietro Aliquo wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 03:55 Quiche - one of the easiest meals to put together, impressive to anyone who doesn't know how simple it is to make and you can get really creative with ingredient combos.
I agree!! I love a good quiche, you can also make it with frozen pastry instead of from scratch which makes it much easier. Plus you can pack in leftover veggies and meat
jocelyn2021
Currently Reading: Mister Tender's Girl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: laptop

Post by jocelyn2021 »

Baked Chicken Fajitas are a breeze to make even if you're not very good at cooking. It was one of the first dishes I ever learned how to make.
Julia J 1

Post by Julia J 1 »

jocelyn2021 wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 22:52 Baked Chicken Fajitas are a breeze to make even if you're not very good at cooking. It was one of the first dishes I ever learned how to make.
Baked? I am always concerned about over cooking my chicken in the oven so I always cook pieces on the pan, what temperature to you put the heat at to avoid that? And do you marinate your chicken beforehand?
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Sweet potato pizza
Asya Shpakovskaya
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asya-shpakovskaya.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination: by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.

Post by Asya Shpakovskaya »

Meringue recipe was strongly believed to be hard, even impossible one. Actually it's rather easy, although I'm still not sure whether I do it correctly... It significantly differs from the ones you would by in a shop, still, mine interpretation compares favourably with the shop ones

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”