What makes a pasta great?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
SarahPenney_7
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 11

What makes a pasta great?

Post by SarahPenney_7 »

Hi all! I'm an avid cook and a lover of a great many foods, but I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. My partner is moving to Italy to cook for the summer at a private villa. Which is great! An adventure of a lifetime, but with one hitch.

We're both gluten free and lactose intolerant due to celiac and other health issues.

He's very well versed in cooking overall and has worked at a lot of different restaurants, but my question for you is this-- how can you tell a pasta is good without eating it?

And, if there's a pasta dish that you think is absolutely to die for (maybe even literally) what's the dish, where have you had it, and do you have any tips for cooking it?
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

waw that's difficult to do, maybe he can give his assistant to try, but for me the less spices it has the better, I like buttery and cheesey pasta
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

The sauce. Whether it’s tomato, pesto or cheese the sauce makes the pasta
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

The sauce makes pasta. I think it's a matter of preference. Whether the sauce is creamy, spicy, sweet; whether the pasta is aldente, less than, or more than.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Sauce. Depending on ones preference, for me sweet sauce
Brunette2
Currently Reading: The Wild Truth
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunette2.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Brunette2 »

A great pasta should contain a sauce of the flavour you prefer.
Mpilis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mpilis »

Oh, I'm an expert on this! About six months ago, my family and I opened our own cafe where the main dish is various pasta for every taste. Of course, the most important thing is what pasta is made from and how. We make different types ourselves: spaghetti, linguine, farfalle, tagliatelle, and much more. I remember how it all started - finding a place for a cafe, compiling a menu, obtaining permits, the issue of taxes. It's good that we found a way to arrange everything quickly here, and the most exciting thing is opening! But now we have a wonderful place where you can try pasta with various fillings and sauces, as well as pasta salads and homemade drinks.

Also I can give you some advices: if you want the perfect pasta, cook your pasta slightly undercooked. In the process of stewing, along with the sauce, they will definitely cook to the right state. In order to calculate the time and not overcook the pasta, simply subtract a couple of minutes from the cooking time indicated on the package.
The secret to a delicious pasta-based dish is the right choice of companion products. Seafood, tomatoes, eggplant, minced meat, hard cheeses, aromatic herbs go well with them.
According to the rules, pasta is placed in boiling water when the fish or meat is almost cooked. Thus, the side dish will also be hot and fresh by the right time. Pasta is not eaten "yesterday's" or warmed up. So serve immediately.
Last edited by gali on 09 Jun 2022, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
Christine Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Christine Tamuno »

The sauce 😋 is what makes a great pasta. Tye sauce is everything
Aeesha Bashir
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aeesha.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Aeesha Bashir »

It shouldn't be overcooked, no matter how good the pasta dish is, nothing kills it like overcooked pasta
Aeesha :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”