What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Mutuma Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutuma-clare.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: What Would It Take To Make You Pick Up A Cookbook?

Post by Mutuma Clare »

My friends love to cook and they keep a lot of cookbooks. They are a major motivation but normally I prefer going to YouTube.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

For me, it could be a theme, trusted author, or information that's not extremely common on the internet. Most likely I would say something along the lines of baking since that requires exact measurements. Once example is a bread machine cookbook I have, it's easy to have a variety of recipes on hand without having to hunt and scroll through sites for different variations.
Queenelene
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Queenelene »

Basically adding some knowledge to what one has is important. I like surprising my guests with new and amazibng recipes.
Rose Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rose Tamuno »

Gravy wrote: 05 Jul 2016, 03:30 Seeing how very many people prefer the internet to cookbooks nowadays, I find myself wondering exactly what it would take to make you pick one up?

It seems to me that just offering recipes isn't enough, so what else could someone add to a "cookbook" that would make it worth your time?

I know there are quite a few authors who've included different recipes that are related in some way to their book, but what is the reverse of this?

I suppose making it into a pseudo memoir could work. Goodness knows I'd probably give it a second look :lol:
I love cookbooks, but i barely follow all the steps because i think some steps are unnecessary or i have a better way myself to handle it.
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I don't see myself ever doing that. I get all the help I need from youtube. I prefer visuals to just staring at a cookbook.
Liza Chulukhadze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

I usually am not interested in cookbooks and learn from the internet, but a good recomendation from a good youtuber chef or a friend would lure me into buying it.
Marquesa
Favorite Book: A Promised Land
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marquesa.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Marquesa »

It depends on the theme. If it is a book of a traditional cuisine from one part of the world, Oriental or Mexican, for example, I would take it if the price is acceptable.
Bookreader1433
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreader1433.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Bookreader1433 »

I usually go to recipe books for inspiration when I have a big cook planned. It helps with deciding what options I have for different courses if that is in the plan. I then seek online recipes for modification.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

Its more convenient to search recipes on internet but if i had to make something specific and i have the cookbook at home that might propel me to read the whole thing
Mbrwr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mbrwr »

To me, the few times I bought a cookbook was because it had great recipes on dietary restrictions. Think of great recipes on gluten free bread, with simple ingredients.

Another important thing is that it doesn't use too many different ingredients that I normally don't own. If I have to buy about 10 bottles/bags of ingredients only to use them once, I won't buy it.
Nurtletek
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nurtletek »

I recently picked up a new cookbook today. It's called "Feed Your Mind", a cookbook focused on plant-based recipes that nourish your mind and mental health. There were two reasons for this happening... One, access to the book was easy, it was present and smack dab in my face. It wasn't a huge, intimidating cookbook with these long-drawn-out concoctions, and spells with overcomplicated jargon. No, it was a rather slim book with simplistic recipes divided into sections by the seasons. The photos used to illustrate the recipes were beautifully immersive, especially seeing the vibrant colors of each ingredient used. So it captivated me and drew my interest, and here I am eager to recreate these recipes for myself and loved ones. However that is part of the story of what it took me to pick this particular cookbook. The second reason is, well I have been eating more intentionally, focused on holistic health and wellness. Also creating a better relationship with myself and Divine Source Energy through being conscious of the food I am eating and the latter effects that it will have on my body, spirit and mind. :D
Dangel Tejares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dangel-tejares.html
Latest Review: The Sum of All the Pieces by Paul Bradford

Post by Dangel Tejares »

As a traditional person, of course, cookbooks for me are still engaging and eye-pleasing. The recipes taught are easy to follow. You may opt to include it with visuals and make it more engaging!
Jagulani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagulani.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Jagulani »

Recipe to help out on my cooking make I no go cook watinbedis.
Jennifer Cowhig
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-cowhig.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B0775717ZP
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Jennifer Cowhig »

Besides the price of the book, I prefer a cookbook with photography so I have an idea of what the final meal would look like. I want it to make me hungry and crave the food offered. I also am more likely to pick up a cookbook on vacation if it is on local or cultural meals. I typically look up recipes online because it is more convenient, but I love flipping through cookbooks.

However, the cookbooks I have are from the 60s and I even have recipes from the great depression that my great grandmother saved. I love a super simple recipe, and the older recipes are simple. I flip through newer books and I want to make sure I don't have to have all kinds of gadgets to make the food and that its something a beginner could follow. If I want to try something new, the family books are my go to before the internet.
Jennifer Cowhig
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-cowhig.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B0775717ZP
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Jennifer Cowhig »

Mutuma Clare wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 02:20 My friends love to cook and they keep a lot of cookbooks. They are a major motivation but normally I prefer going to YouTube.

Do you have any channels you recommend? I often find videos much easier to follow than written words.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”