Baking and you

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
gunnyswife
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnyswife.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Baking and you

Post by gunnyswife »

When baking, are there any tricks you use to get that perfect result you want?

For me, it's all about the substitute of one ingredient or another. If I don't have cream, I'll make a substitute that works. If I can't use sugar, I'll use Stevia as the package directs. Eggs can be subbed with vinegar of all things! So tell me, please, what are your kitchen tricks?
Rattyhatty
Favorite Author: Mercedes Lackey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rattyhatty.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
fav_author_id: 2531

Post by Rattyhatty »

Kitchen tricks? I don't have any that I know of. I know I prefer butter to using margarine when it comes to baking. The texture just seems to come out better that way.
But here is something interesting : eggs and oil together can also be substituted with mayonnaise. If you think about it, it does make sense. The result you would have a moist taste. Like muffins or cupcakes. (I make my own mayonnaise.)
gunnyswife
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnyswife.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by gunnyswife »

Ooh, that's really cool! I'd never have thought of that, and it's awesome that you make your own mayo. :D
Cate winslet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Cate winslet »

I love cakes... so I never leave my baking recipes...
Rattyhatty
Favorite Author: Mercedes Lackey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rattyhatty.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
fav_author_id: 2531

Post by Rattyhatty »

Well, homemade mayonnaise doesn't have any of the added preservatives and additives you'd find in store bought mayonnaise. So on one side your homemade mayonnaise isn't as sour while on the other hand, store-bought lasts longer.

Another thing I do when I make pies or mini pies is that I use normal dough. I don't have any fondness for puff pastry due to its messiness. Also, normal dough seems to taste better to me.
Maybe at some point I'll see if I can make homemade puff pastry...
munajimah25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by munajimah25 »

its good to bake your own but i dont really like baking, moreover i knw how to bake but just feel lazy doing that...
i normally like pie,cupcakes and chips
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

That’s brilliant, I’ve never thought to make my own mayo.
I make my own buttermilk because it’s so easy and is fresh when needed. It’s simply 2tbsp lemon juice to every cup of milk, let sit for 15-20 mins. It curdles a bit and is devine for buttermilk biscuits.
oocynthia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by oocynthia »

I always used the old fashioned ways so altering them have never crossed my mind.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Unsweetened applesauce instead of oil in cakes and cookies actually makes them moister and lower in calories. We also like to substitute Greek yogurt for butter in baking; just remember to factor in the tangy taste.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

My mother would always use half shortening and half butter in her baking. My husband was vegan for a while and I became the master of substitutes. I found a substitute doesn't always work depending on what you're making. Apple sauce work great to substitute eggs in pancakes but not so much in brownies. :shifty:
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I have this thing called a garlic twister. You just put the garlic cloves in and twist them. It works really well and you don't have to cut up tiny pieces and risk cutting your fingers.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I found a recipe that makes pie crust in the blender. It's so much easier than the cutting in method and I think it's tasty.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Rattyhatty wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 16:09 Kitchen tricks? I don't have any that I know of. I know I prefer butter to using margarine when it comes to baking. The texture just seems to come out better that way.
But here is something interesting : eggs and oil together can also be substituted with mayonnaise. If you think about it, it does make sense. The result you would have a moist taste. Like muffins or cupcakes. (I make my own mayonnaise.)
Nice way to make your own Mayo. I have to get creative in the kitchen and find my own tricks too. Thanks for sharing this though.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

The best "trick" I ever learned was that when baking at elevation, the dough rises too fast sometimes because of a lack of atmospheric pressure. What I learned was that while it reses, it should be in a location that is a little less warm. The texture is improved.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I do the mayo substitute for eggs and oil quite a bit, great for when you eat up all the eggs for breakfast and don't want to do a store run. I've been playing with cream cheese a lot in my baking lately, I used half butter half cream cheese in a pastry, it came out puffier than usual but was richer and smoother. I used some in a chewy cookie recipe with great results too. I also played around with coconut oil pastry and cookies. With those you treat the coconut oil as an oil not a solid like butter. All the coconut oil subs I tried came out excellent. The pastry is not super flaky just as with other oil dough recipes but has a better flavor, the cookies come out super moist and chewy. The giant bag of Sunmaid raisins has an oatmeal cookie recipe on the back that I modified endlessly with the coconut oil. One of the best I subbed drained chopped pineapple and shredded coconut for the raisins, none of that batch made it to the morning.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”