Some Foods to Avoid

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Re: Some Foods to Avoid

Post by shravsi »

I reduced ready-made food as much as possible but still eat a few times a month so as not to let my heart feel deprived of anything
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Thanks for that very informative piece, personally I choose what to eat and eat when I need not because of availability.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

This piece sounds so true and informative but you will forgive me when I sneak out to have my ice cream once in a while. I hate canned soup.
Wanja Kenya
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

As a general rule of thumb, I avoid all processed foods, dairy (lactose intolerant), and excessive oils, and I opt to cook all my meals at home instead, even my snacks, although I'm not much of a snacker. This works well enough for my partner and myself in ensuring we stay healthy and eat quality food.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I think it’s important to cheat as important it is to eat healthy coz otherwise the cravings would drive me crazy.
Mariamm Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariamm-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee

Post by Mariamm Ibrahim »

Hmm, I really find theis post helpful. There are some times we eat certain food and we don't even know what we are eating isn't good and might cause us harm. Thanks for sharing.
The Dodo Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-dodo-writer.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by The Dodo Writer »

Innocent chinenye wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 10:16 Representing merely examples, these instances are blatant offenders and constitute only the “tip of the iceberg” of nefarious foods. And we wonder why we have such an epidemic of obesity, heart attacks, and high blood pressure here and in so many other parts of the world!

1. Chicken Pot Pie. Contains 22
grams of saturated fat, 1,600 mg of sodium, and possesses “only” 1,040 calories. I suspect that most such pies will be equally dangerous. Check them out first, or stay away entirely.
2. Parkay Margarine sticks. They may be
cholesterol-free, but each tablespoon of the spread has 1.5 grams of undesirable trans-fat and an equal amount of equally undesirable saturated fat. Other similar products are just as deadly, i.e., Blue Bonnet, Land O’Lakes, Country Crock, and Fleischmann’s. Instead of these stick margarines, look for tub margarines instead,for most have little or no trans-fat.
3. Ice cream is no bargain: An average
half cup serving of plain vanilla Haagen-Dazs ice cream contains about 250 calories, but, unfortunately, 10 grams of undesirable saturated fat. And that’s only if you don’t add any toppings or whipped cream.
4. Not so Mediterranean: This dish has a
misleading name, so don’t go near Olive Garden’s “Tour of Italy”, which consists of homemade lasagna, lightly breaded chicken Parmigiana, and creamy
fettuccine alfredo. It contains 1,450 calories, 33 grams of saturated fat, and 3,830 milligrams of sodium. If you add a breadstick (150 calories and 400 mg of sodium) with a garden salad with dressing (290 calories and 1,530 mg of sodium), you’ll be well on your way to needing heart bypass surgery.
5. Canned Soups: As an example, an
average cup of Campbell’s regular Condensed Soup contains up to 1,900 mg of sodium in a single can (supposedly two servings, but many will opt for the whole can) more than most adults should consume in an entire day!
Choice soups containing around 400 mg of sodium (which is still a bit too much).

Hopefully, I haven’t spoiled your entire day by advising against such yummy foods. But even if your day is less fun, your future has a chance to be much more secure and probably substantially longer.
Wow. I had no idea these were so bad. Thanks for taking the time out to educate me and all others that have read this thread. Even though I love some of the foods you mentioned, I will try to avoid them.
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

It’s frustrating to discover that foods that seem okay are actually full of sodium and preservatives. I am currently avoiding any frozen meals, and I am trying to eliminate chips and pre made cookies.
Liza Chulukhadze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

Thank you for this information. I have never come across such an information, definitely useful.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”