Some Foods to Avoid

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Innocent chinenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innocent-chinenye.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Some Foods to Avoid

Post by Innocent chinenye »

Representing merely examples, these instances are blatant offenders and constitute only the “tip of the iceberg” of nefarious foods. And we wonder why we have such an epidemic of obesity, heart attacks, and high blood pressure here and in so many other parts of the world!

1. Chicken Pot Pie. Contains 22
grams of saturated fat, 1,600 mg of sodium, and possesses “only” 1,040 calories. I suspect that most such pies will be equally dangerous. Check them out first, or stay away entirely.
2. Parkay Margarine sticks. They may be
cholesterol-free, but each tablespoon of the spread has 1.5 grams of undesirable trans-fat and an equal amount of equally undesirable saturated fat. Other similar products are just as deadly, i.e., Blue Bonnet, Land O’Lakes, Country Crock, and Fleischmann’s. Instead of these stick margarines, look for tub margarines instead,for most have little or no trans-fat.
3. Ice cream is no bargain: An average
half cup serving of plain vanilla Haagen-Dazs ice cream contains about 250 calories, but, unfortunately, 10 grams of undesirable saturated fat. And that’s only if you don’t add any toppings or whipped cream.
4. Not so Mediterranean: This dish has a
misleading name, so don’t go near Olive Garden’s “Tour of Italy”, which consists of homemade lasagna, lightly breaded chicken Parmigiana, and creamy
fettuccine alfredo. It contains 1,450 calories, 33 grams of saturated fat, and 3,830 milligrams of sodium. If you add a breadstick (150 calories and 400 mg of sodium) with a garden salad with dressing (290 calories and 1,530 mg of sodium), you’ll be well on your way to needing heart bypass surgery.
5. Canned Soups: As an example, an
average cup of Campbell’s regular Condensed Soup contains up to 1,900 mg of sodium in a single can (supposedly two servings, but many will opt for the whole can) more than most adults should consume in an entire day!
Choice soups containing around 400 mg of sodium (which is still a bit too much).

Hopefully, I haven’t spoiled your entire day by advising against such yummy foods. But even if your day is less fun, your future has a chance to be much more secure and probably substantially longer.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
McGraw Sheryl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by McGraw Sheryl »

This seems to be a wonderful book I would love to read the whole book. So many people do not understand processed food is going to kill them. Most all restaurants serve processed foods and I am learning to avoid them.
I am so glad she has shown the Haagen-Dazs ice cream. Not only does it have 250 calories but the sugar content is unreal. I would enjoy this more if she added the sugar content of these items. People do not realize what they are eating . This would be a great item for people about to try to get pregnant, and those who have had a heart attack and stroke.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I try to alter my food so I don't "overdose" on any foods. So I eat a salad one day for lunch and soup the next and then a meat the next. I think keeping balanced is very health.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

Processed food is the number one on the list to avoid. Vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, fish...those are great! Trans-fats are terrible for people as well as processed sugars. A meal that combines all of those things is not going to be good for a person to eat, especially on a regular basis.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
kjeffer3

Post by kjeffer3 »

I've always been of the opinion that you can indulge, within limits. Obviously, it's not a good idea to binge on fast and junk food everyday, but if you prefer to not live by any diet or lifestyle, have fun. However, within limits. Some foods to NOT indulge in everyday:

1. Processed anything -- it's just not good for you. Sugar and artificial coloring can cause problems if you eat it everyday, that's just common knowledge. But consider why they'd cause you, the individual health problems. Processed meats and heavy sugar have been listed as carcinogens on the same level as smoking a pack or more a day.

2. Deep fried foods -- I get it. I'm from the South and, when I feel like it, I will eat some fried chicken and I will very much enjoy it. However, there's a reason why it's not something ever eat on a daily basis. Depending on the oil you use, it can eventually clog your arteries and block blood flow to the heart. Not to mention the salt intake! People risking heart disease should stay away.

3. Refined sugar -- Honestly? This is a given. Like heavy salt intake, refined sugar can seriously cause damage to your body, especially if you have a risk for Diabetes.
leekris

Post by leekris »

this is great way to explane the cook and book . this would be i would annoucts it to ..its very detail,, witch what alot readers and people would look at ..its speaks staright to you self and the heart health..
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

I completely agree with this. After having cancer at 25, my whole idea of food and eating completely changed. Eating healthy or eating in moderation is more than important, it's essential.
+254707532771

Post by +254707532771 »

I think eating foods that are recommended makes our body healthier and strong to fight with disease
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Too much coffee is never a good thing.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The best food to eat is straight from the vegetable garden. Too bad most people do not have the time for that.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

JuliaKay wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 08:24 Processed food is the number one on the list to avoid. Vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, fish...those are great! Trans-fats are terrible for people as well as processed sugars. A meal that combines all of those things is not going to be good for a person to eat, especially on a regular basis.
I totally agree. Have you read anything by Michael Pollan? He talks extensively about how the Western diet of processed, fatty, sugary, salty food is destroying out health.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

Innocent chinenye wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 10:16 Representing merely examples, these instances are blatant offenders and constitute only the “tip of the iceberg” of nefarious foods. And we wonder why we have such an epidemic of obesity, heart attacks, and high blood pressure here and in so many other parts of the world!

grams of saturated fat, 1,600 mg of sodium, and possesses “only” 1,040 calories. I suspect that most such pies will be equally dangerous. Check them out first, or stay away entirely.
cholesterol-free, but each tablespoon of the spread has 1.5 grams of undesirable trans-fat and an equal amount of equally undesirable saturated fat. Other similar products are just as deadly, i.e., Blue Bonnet, Land O’Lakes, Country Crock, and Fleischmann’s. Instead of these stick margarines, look for tub margarines instead,for most have little or no trans-fat.
half cup serving of plain vanilla Haagen-Dazs ice cream contains about 250 calories, but, unfortunately, 10 grams of undesirable saturated fat. And that’s only if you don’t add any toppings or whipped cream.
misleading name, so don’t go near Olive Garden’s “Tour of Italy”, which consists of homemade lasagna, lightly breaded chicken Parmigiana, and creamy
fettuccine alfredo. It contains 1,450 calories, 33 grams of saturated fat, and 3,830 milligrams of sodium. If you add a breadstick (150 calories and 400 mg of sodium) with a garden salad with dressing (290 calories and 1,530 mg of sodium), you’ll be well on your way to needing heart bypass surgery.
average cup of Campbell’s regular Condensed Soup contains up to 1,900 mg of sodium in a single can (supposedly two servings, but many will opt for the whole can) more than most adults should consume in an entire day!
Choice soups containing around 400 mg of sodium (which is still a bit too much).

Hopefully, I haven’t spoiled your entire day by advising against such yummy foods. But even if your day is less fun, your future has a chance to be much more secure and probably substantially longer.
Canned soups are my guilty pleasure, but yes agreed that they are not the healthiest so I try to avoid them but allow myself to eat them once in a while.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I totally agree. These food are dangerous to health. If only one can resist the urge and craving for these food. Ice cream is my guilty pleasure I know I have to cut back on them.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Innocent chinenye wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 10:16 Representing merely examples, these instances are blatant offenders and constitute only the “tip of the iceberg” of nefarious foods. And we wonder why we have such an epidemic of obesity, heart attacks, and high blood pressure here and in so many other parts of the world!

You see, I have never trusted canned soup I hardly tolerate other canned stuff but canned soup to me is a big no no it just doesn't look okay to me.
Wadata-68

Post by Wadata-68 »

:lol2: Thats absolutely True.. Too much of processed foods can kill...so we should try to reduce the intake of chemically enhanced foods and go for fresh ones,like fruites and less fatty things

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”