Red Meat: Should You Curtail it?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Red Meat: Should You Curtail it?

Post by LS Daniyal »

Apart from the health risk, there is also the environment to think about. Life is all about balance, if we can not control ourselves, then we would be controlled by our base self.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

I have to agree that grass fed animals (including eggs from free range chickens) are much healthier for you than anything that you can buy at a store prepackaged.
Rose Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rose Tamuno »

Innocent chinenye wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 13:34 Most of us are aware that red meat when consumed in excess is not a very healthy choice. But what constitutes an excess of this food, and how bad is it? So, let’s take a closer look at these issues:

First, red meat may shorten your life! In 2012 scientists at the Harvard School of Public Health 25 evaluated results from more than 120,000 subjects in two studies and found that, after a period of 28 years, those who ate the most red meat (two or more servings per day) had a 30% higher risk of dying than those who ate only about 1/2 serving or less per day. They concluded that 8% of deaths in women and almost 10% in men could be prevented if people consumed less than half-a-serving of red meat per day.

Second, red meat is not “heart or brain healthy.” This means that the arteriosclerotic process resulting from consumption of this meat can lead to heart attacks and strokes, both resulting from closure of arteries supplying blood to the heart and brain. So even if you survive, you may impair the function of your heart or brain, and with it, your lifestyle could go out the window. The reason: Red meat is a major source of saturated fat in the average diet.

Finally, there is a relationship between red meat and cancer.To reduce your cancer risk, eat no more than 18 oz. per week of red meats such as beef, pork and lamb, and avoid processed meat such as ham, bacon, salami, hot dogs, and sausage.
Thank you so much for this insightful piece. I could not imagine how many people struggle with the consequences of consuming red meat in large quantity. I will try my best to actually call my consumption of that but I know it will not be easy.
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

It is good to curtail it because it would come back to haunt you when you're old. I suggest everyone to curtail.
Tameka P
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: My Child is Missing
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tameka-p.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tameka P »

I have beef, mutton and goat occasionally. However, my diet has been pescatarian for the last month or so.
Red meat provides us with iron, zinc and B vitamins. But we can get these from other sources of food. To receive ample protein without eating meat takes some amount of creativity and meal prepping (believe me).
You are right. We should have everything in moderation. Issues only arise when we overindulge.
Mutuma Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutuma-clare.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Mutuma Clare »

I have read conflicting accounts on this issue. Hope some can recommend a reliable source to read on the issue of red meat
Adele Pooley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adele-pooley.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Adele Pooley »

Red meat is a bit of a catch as it also has a level of iron which is good for you. Just on a personal note, I have had to increase mine, along with tuna and salmon (I already eat lots of greens and LOVE my spinach)

As mentioned before, an excess will definitely be detrimental, especially if people's idea of eating red meat are burgers, schnitzels and sausages as opposed to a well roasted side of beef. The less processed, the better!
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

I think I would gladly eat red meat every day but it would not make sense financial, I'm quite happy with it 1-3 times a week as a treat.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

I only consume red meat once a week. I don't think it is very good for your health to consume it often. There have been so many studies on this now. I try stick to 3 days plant based, 3 fish and one meat every week but i'm not strict with that but I do find it pretty easy compared to when I tried full vegan. I just couldn't do it.
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

I have recently started consuming a lot of meat so I am very thankful for the information you provided.
Jagulani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagulani.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Jagulani »

I love red meat its actually one of my best Meat for long.
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Ika Apro »

Thanks for the useful information, will look deeper into the subject.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”