Flatliners (New movie)

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Flatliners (New movie)

Post by Doaa Wael »

Flat liners is about people who willingly stop their hearts for a couple of minutes to explore the after death then medically get revived again. The idea is great but the movie rating is very low, do you think this rating is related to the genre of the idea being unpopular or?
Imagination Trumps Reality.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I've only seen the original, and I thought that movie was silly. I find the whole concept that stopping your heart somehow allows you to cross into the world of paranormal to be hard to swallow. From what I've seen of the new movie in its trailer, it tries to go for this realistic, sciency feel, so it's just really jarring.

Also, lately we've seen a lot of remakes of old classics become box office bombs. I think this might just part a general trend of people getting sick to death of them.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I've only seen the trailer. But it interests me actually, and when you said it has low ratings, it disappointed me. So maybe the execution was not good but the idea caught my attention.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Doaa Wael

Post by Doaa Wael »

AliceofX wrote:I've only seen the original, and I thought that movie was silly. I find the whole concept that stopping your heart somehow allows you to cross into the world of paranormal to be hard to swallow. From what I've seen of the new movie in its trailer, it tries to go for this realistic, sciency feel, so it's just really jarring.

Also, lately we've seen a lot of remakes of old classics become box office bombs. I think this might just part a general trend of people getting sick to death of them.
Ohhh that's a great theory about people getting sick of remakes! It's like a subconscious scream "we don't have any new ideas"

-- 05 Oct 2017, 00:08 --
Harmony Hills wrote:I've only seen the trailer. But it interests me actually, and when you said it has low ratings, it disappointed me. So maybe the execution was not good but the idea caught my attention.
That was exactly my train of thoughts! Hi 5 :D
Fictions Mistress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictions-mistress.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Fictions Mistress »

I went to see the new Flatliners on the opening weekend, and I truly think it has nothing to do with the concept. I think it has to do with the fact that it's a remake. If you look at remakes/reboots, they are often poorly received. I love the original, but quite frankly, I really enjoyed the new one as well. If the only thing that makes a film bad is the fact that it's a remake, can it truly be considered a bad movie?
Doaa Wael

Post by Doaa Wael »

Fictions Mistress wrote:I went to see the new Flatliners on the opening weekend, and I truly think it has nothing to do with the concept. I think it has to do with the fact that it's a remake. If you look at remakes/reboots, they are often poorly received. I love the original, but quite frankly, I really enjoyed the new one as well. If the only thing that makes a film bad is the fact that it's a remake, can it truly be considered a bad movie?
Thank you so much for sharing your insight :tiphat:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I liked the remake, enjoyed that Kiefer Sutherland showed up in it. I didn't think it needed to be remade.
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

I know this movie if I am not mistaken Julia Roberts was one in the main casts, Sorry I didn't enjoy it much, but I love Julia but Flat Liners I find it so boring, i don't intend to watch this new film (flat Liners) they have thesame flaw of story.
What goes around comes around
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I've seen the movie I totally agree with the low ratings because the idea is not realistic. I heard it has an original maybe that one was better anyone I didn't like the movie at all.
Ernie6988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernie6988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ernie6988 »

I saw both. I really enjoyed the original and was hoping the remake would be as good. The second one was ok, and I am glad I saw it. If I wouldn't have went I would always wonder.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I did see that movie and was fascinated at the time, since I was in nursing and had participated in code blues. I cannot imagine voluntarily having your heart stopped like they did. But the movie did have some pretty famous actors/actresses in it.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I think the series got ratings from people that watched it that weren't the right audience for the kind of film it is. Maybe it wasn't well promoted.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Return to “Films and Books”