Which is the best book to film adaptation in your opinion?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Icon Which is the best book to film adaptation in your opinion?

Post by Nancy004 »

Its a fact that books are superior to their film adaptations, but there are instances where movies come remarkably close to capturing the essence and perfection of the original books.

In my opinion, there is no doubt that the Harry Potter series stands out as the ultimate example of a successful book-to-movie adaptation. With its magical world and beloved characters brought to life on the big screen, the films captured the essence of J.K. Rowling's enchanting storytelling. The cast, visuals, and attention to detail made it a spellbinding cinematic experience for fans worldwide.

Which movie do you consider to be the finest adaptation of its book?
Fester John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fester-john.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Fester John »

E M P Honeymoon a very good series it should have a action version of it
Joseph Jose Nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Joseph Jose Nj »

In my opinion The best book-to-film adaptations is "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, based on the epic fantasy novels by J.R.R. Tolkien. Directed by Peter Jackson, the film trilogy consists of "The Fellowship of the Ring" (2001), "The Two Towers" (2002), and "The Return of the King" (2003). These films beautifully brought Tolkien's richly imagined world of Middle-earth to life, capturing the essence of the books' characters, landscapes, and epic storytelling. The films were critically acclaimed and immensely successful, garnering numerous awards, including multiple Academy Awards for "The Return of the King." The "Lord of the Rings" trilogy stands as a prime example of a successful book-to-film adaptation that has resonated with audiences worldwide.
devtastic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442

Post by devtastic »

As an overall series, I think His Dark Materials on HBO did a great job of adapting the books to the small screen. They gave each book a dedicated season allowing for the story to hit you with a gut punch that the movie version (Golden Compass with Nicole Kidman) could never deliver. Also, too much was cut out of the movie version to help the story make sense.

I would also vote strongly for season 1 and season 2 ONLY of Game of Thrones. I remember when it first came out I decided to reread the books as the episodes were coming out and I was blown away by how close to the books it was down to conversations between different characters reproduced.
JosehNjuguna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josehnjuguna.html
Latest Review: The Slippery Road. by L. M. Bollers

Post by JosehNjuguna »

The lord of the rings
Arianna Mazzotta 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Arianna Mazzotta 1 »

I love book to movie adaptations, I always look on the internet if the latest book I've read hase a movie adaptation and if it does I watch it straight away.

So far I had the most of fun watching the various adaptations of Jane Austen books.

Pride and prejudice is probably the most popular one, I watched the ICONIC 2005 one and I enjoyed it all right, but weirdly enough it had a big flaw in my opinion: the character of William Collins. At least for me. In the book a I pictured him as a prideful and secure man who's problem was the complete lack of self awareness, and in the movie he seemed rather unsure of himself. Funny enough, a better portrait of him is in another adaptation of the book: Pride prejudice and zombies lol
He's played by Matt Smith and if you put the zombies aside its just how I pictured him in the books hah

I also loved the adaptation of Emma, the one with Anya Taylor Joy is better in terms of quality of the costumes, the photography etc but strictly in terms of book-to-movie accuracy I liked better the one with Gweneth Paltrow
Annija Marta Meldere
Currently Reading: The Bulletproof Missionary
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annija-marta-meldere.html
Latest Review: Eternity by Carlos

Post by Annija Marta Meldere »

The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe.

The characters don't look how they're "supposed to", but it has the spirit of the book, so to say.
Latest Review: Eternity by Carlos
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Zanne Crystle »

Loved 'The Martian' movie. Although the movie didn't cover as much as the book, what it did cover was well-executed.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

I know it might just be me, but I've always loved the movie 'Little Women,' the very old one from 1933 with Katharine Hepburn.
When I was very little, my auntie gave me this old 'Little Women' book, and it had all the old pictures from the movie. It was her book from when she was young. I was just starting to read and really adored that book more than anything. Then I discovered there was a movie version! I had to get the movie. I still have the DVD, still watch it, and still absolutely love it.
David Milaham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-milaham.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by David Milaham »

The Lord of the Rings trilogy, easily, and maybe Gone Girl
Purrfect Music Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purrfect-music-reader.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke

Post by Purrfect Music Reader »

Hands down for me, the best adaption from book to film is LOTR. Although Jackson took a few liberties, I think he did well capturing the characters quirky characteristics, the juxtaposition of darkness and light when it came to the protagonists and the antagonists, and the humour despite what was happening.
Highly recommend the Director’s Cut, the original version just misses some of the crucial elements from the book.

And I have also been watching ‘Charlie Chan’ movies, based on the books by Earl Derr Biggers. What a refreshing show set in the 1940s with the exceptional Chinese/Honolulu detective Chan and his troublesome sidekicks – number 2 son, or number 4 daughter, or number 7 son… Well, you get the picture. :)

The movies are black and white, with all the characters having a motive, and those almost cringe but loveable quips that what makes these old-school shows so great.

Then there is the Sherlock Holmes’ movies with Jeremy Brett…. Maybe keep that for next time. :)
Muhammad Elsabaa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Muhammad Elsabaa »

The god father
Abbdul Razak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arazak226.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill
2024 Reading Goal: 140
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Abbdul Razak »

UNUM: Infinity and Eternity. Such a wonderful book. All that is going to be said is a nice documented movie. A documentary could stand this book.
Absolute the skies are not my limit but beyond the boundary of matter :music-listening:
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

In my opinion, the best book-to-film adaptation has to be "The Shawshank Redemption." Stephen King's novella "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" was brilliantly translated to the screen, capturing the essence of hope, resilience, and friendship.
Shiru Elizabeth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Unit 52 by Warren Barrow

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

A film adaptation that truly resonated with me is "The Color Purple." Alice Walker's powerful novel was brought to life on screen, capturing the emotional depth of the characters and the impact of their journeys. The performances, particularly by Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey, added a layer of authenticity that made the film adaptation immensely enjoyable.

Return to “Films and Books”