What do you think about the new Sabrina the Teenage Witch version?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

What do you think about the new Sabrina the Teenage Witch version?

Post by Salma M »

Sabrina the teenage witch is a character from Archie comics and was adapted to a series a long time ago.The series was more on the comedy side and personally i loved it.

Most recently there is a new series about Sabrina the teenage witch but this one is far from a comedy.The film takes a darker turn and in most situations Sabrina has to face challenges and make decisions that are very tough and most of all beyond what a teenager should deal with.

This new version is perfect for younger audiences who love thriller,horror and romance all in one.For those who have watched it do you prefer this version or do you prefer the comedy?
Jay lsaacs 254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jay lsaacs 254 »

I prefer the new version
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I wasnt a huge fan of the series before, but I am even less impressed with the new series with dark elements.
U_genia07

Post by U_genia07 »

I prefer the new version. The thrill is present
Amyra27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyra27.html
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer

Post by Amyra27 »

I prefer the new version.
Latest Review: Triplicity by J Mercer
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I watched the original TV series as a kid. However, the new one by far trumps the older one. I love it! It is also produced by the same guys who did Riverdale which I enjoy. The edgy dark feel to it really makes the show.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

It has the same goofy-turn-horror vibe as Riverdale. I'm actually pretty cool with it, especially when you take into account most fairy tales basically stemmed from horrifying fright-tales. The reverse with seeing the innocent comics we grew up with as children maturing with us and acquiring this darker edge seems apt. I enjoy the series but I don't think I can choose between it and the original. Both are special in their own way.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

It is definitely different than the one with Melissa Joan Hart! It is too dark for me.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I prefer the old version, but this one isn't too bad.
Letora

Post by Letora »

Has anyone watched the latest season of Sabrina? It had me worried for a little while that the show was losing it's edge, but for the most part I stilled enjoyed it.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
neskelin

Post by neskelin »

HeatherEi wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 11:59 It is definitely different than the one with Melissa Joan Hart! It is too dark for me.
I agree with you.
slytheringirl

Post by slytheringirl »

I like the new series. I'm not really a fan of remakes, but I like how they took the show in a total different direction. It's darker, but it's very good. If it was a comedy like the original, I probably wouldn't even watch it as I would immediately decide that the original is better as I used to watch it as a kid and loved it. I still watch the original on Hulu.
Letora

Post by Letora »

slytheringirl wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 17:14 I like the new series. I'm not really a fan of remakes, but I like how they took the show in a total different direction. It's darker, but it's very good. If it was a comedy like the original, I probably wouldn't even watch it as I would immediately decide that the original is better as I used to watch it as a kid and loved it. I still watch the original on Hulu.
I think it works because it is so different then the original. :) I didn't realize Hulu had the original. I will have to check it out!
Yvonnebenji8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Yvonnebenji8 »

I liked it. I only feel that with the old version, there is more originality and creativity in the movie, but now even though it is still good, there's a bit of repeatition, nothing really new
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by SMAhmed »

I prefer this version though I'm not a huge fan of either. I like the present one better not because of its thriller or horror elements within the story but because of the visuals and aesthetics. I think the show takes full advantage of its images and goes all out which, in a visual medium, is really important.

Return to “Films and Books”