Dub or sub

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Dub or sub

Post by human reader »

Dub is often fine for anime. Some anime have great dubs like Dragon Ball Z. For live action though subs are pretty much a must.
Catherine Radford
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

That’s a tough one. Lots of movies I feel you need to be taking on what is happening on the screen and not reading subtitles. Generally dubbed audio looks out of place but you soon adjust. We watched money heist recently in the dubbed version and after the first episode or so didn’t really notice the difference from sound to mouth.
The Keeper Jr
Favorite Book: The Cruel Prince
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-keeper-jr.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by The Keeper Jr »

I have never tried dub when it comes to movies and I always preferred subtitled ones. I usually watch movies in English so it's ok if I try another language with subs. When it comes to anime though, I prefer dub. because they have pretty cool voices and it's not that bad.
"Once I did bad and that I heard ever. Twice I did good, but that I heard never." - Dale Carnegie
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

I almost always prefer subtitles. The only exceptions are some cartoons, anime, and the shows I'm too used to watching in my native language. No matter how hard I try, I'll never be able to watch Harry Potter or Grey's Anatomy in English, haha.
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Tammy Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammy-grey.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Tammy Grey »

I'd prefer to watch a sub than a dub. Subbed movies really give more thriller and experience than a dub.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

I think a it's Sub. I rather watch sub than dub.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Subtitles

Dubbed movie and tv shows are something small children watch.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

I would never go for a dubbed movie/series. It doesn't matter what language is it, fast or slow. The essence stays in the original language. The tonality, intonation and expressions meeting the language are all about that original language. When dubbing comes in, essence goes.
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Danny Anderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danny-anderson.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by Danny Anderson »

I opt for subtitles while watching Korean dramas, as they offer a chance to learn Korean words and help us grow accustomed to the foreign language when combined with the original audio. However, subtitles might feel less natural for certain languages.
Shing Araya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Shing Araya »

Subtitles for me. I enjoy listening to other languages while I watch the movie.
Priya Mathew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: The Hotel Detective and his Lover by Derek Picot

Post by Priya Mathew »

It's like choosing between two flavors of ice cream – both have their own unique appeal.

Personally, I lean towards subtitles. They let you experience the movie or show in its original language, preserving the nuances of the actors' performances. You can catch the tone, emotion, and authenticity intended by the creators. Plus, it's a fantastic way to pick up a bit of a new language!

On the other hand, dubbing has its merits too. It allows you to focus entirely on the visuals as some mentioned here, without having to split your attention between reading and watching. It's perfect for multitasking or just relaxing.

So, which is better? It depends on your preferences and the context. If I'm feeling adventurous and don't mind reading, I'd go for subtitles. But if I need a laid-back viewing experience, Dubbing might be my jam.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
cara_arcillo89

Post by cara_arcillo89 »

For me I prefer both because for the subbed version, japanese actors put more emotion in their character's dialogue and subtitle translates exactly what the characters say. As for the dubbed version, there are some voice actors that are very good that it matches the original . Also, atleast you can listen to your native language comfortably and get to focus entirely on the visuals.
cara_arcillo89

Post by cara_arcillo89 »

For me I prefer both because for the subbed version, japanese actors put more emotion in their character's dialogue and subtitle translates exactly what the characters say. As for the dubbed version, there are some voice actors that are very good that it matches the original . Also, atleast you can listen to your native language comfortably and get to focus entirely on the visuals.
BookAddikt
Favorite Book: The Black Dagger Brotherhood
Currently Reading: The Law of Unintended Consequences
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by BookAddikt »

I prefer Sub
Im tone deaf so I cant hear everything properly and I use subtitles for everything
hugsforkoo
Favorite Book: The Scottish Boy
Currently Reading: Death on the Nile
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by hugsforkoo »

Sub will always be the supreme winner! english dubs are the bane of my existence

Return to “Films and Books”