Native Son by Richard Wright

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Native Son by Richard Wright

Post by Paige Alvarado »

My favorite book in the entire world is Native Son by Richard Wright. I have read it 6 times in my life. I love it. It's raw, intense, and eye-opening.

That being said, I was skimming HBOGo the other day and found that IT HAS BEEN MADE INTO A MOVIE. I was so excited that I called my husband at work to tell him. (I read it aloud to him when we would put our newborn to sleep)

So I watch it, right. Everything is different from how I always imagined it would be. Bigger is a punk rock kid, and Bessie. OMG Bessie is actually very pretty and has piercings and black nail polish.

THE PLOT. Generally it's the same idea, right? Black guy in a predominately white world who is misunderstood, to say the least. However, some of the KEY ELEMENTS in the book were completely gone. No trial, no one-room apartment, Bigger's mom has a boyfriend?, Bessie freakin LIVES????

I was so incredibly disappointed, that I have to read it a seventh time, just to feel right again.

Has anyone read or seen Native Son? Thoughts?

Return to “Films and Books”