Why was John Carter so underrated?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Why was John Carter so underrated?

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Okay so I have read all of the original books by Edgar Rice Burrows and they (while a bit repetitive in theme) are really good. A Princes of Mars was my favorite. And I really loved the movie, John Carter, which was a mixture of a few of the stories from the different books in the series.

Have you seen the film and what was your rating of it. Have you also read the books?

I wish they would have made a sequel to the movie to get more in depth with the story!!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I've seen pieces of the film. I think it might have been a combination of marketing and audience fatigue for those kinds of stories at the time? I'm not too sure.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

The achievment of John Carter is that it takes the elements worn to nubs by everything from Star Wars to Avatar and makes them fresh again.

I didn't read the book. Would you recommend it? Beautiful baby, BTW.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Actually, when I saw the movie I had no idea what it was about. I had never heard of John Carter, but I honestly loved the movie, and wouldn't mind watching it again.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

magnoparisi wrote: 15 May 2019, 15:07 The achievment of John Carter is that it takes the elements worn to nubs by everything from Star Wars to Avatar and makes them fresh again.

I didn't read the book. Would you recommend it? Beautiful baby, BTW.
Yes I really enjoyed the books. The author was ahead of his time I believe and it’s like the world had to wait and catch up with his ideas, the graphics in movies had to get to a certain place to have his ideas done well. I definitely recommend reading the books, at least the first few. Some of the themes get repetitive (girl gets kidnapped, man must save her). But I still love them. The worlds he created, the languages he made up: all of it appeals to my nerdyness. Lol
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Never having read the books or even having heard of them I recently watched the movie and thought it was downright cheesy. The plot was typical, the acting really bad, and the ending predictable. With special effects so amazing in this day and age, I can't even say it looked that good. I can only think of it as a children's movie and wish it had been presented that way before I watched it.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
cyberyamato12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by cyberyamato12 »

it doesn't matter if John Carter was underrated to me I really enjoyed the movie, although haven't tried reading the original books yet but maybe next time. if only they made a sequel this will eventually make me happy. I enjoyed the idea or concept of a giant walking/moving city and also that hypersonic dog-like creature the burst out of nowhere.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

John Carter was underrated because it was not well advertised. The directors assumed that because it was part of the Star Wars era that it would draw in its own crowd. They did not believe that they needed to do any advertising. However, because they did not do any major advertising, they did not explain the Star Wars link, and the movie was therefore unsuccessful.
Tamara Abdellatif
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-abdellatif.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie
Reading Device: B093JJWXSY

Post by Tamara Abdellatif »

I have read A princess of mars, back at uni as part of a book club. We watched the movie same day after we were finished discussing the book. I loved it! and thought it was underrated as well.

I don't usually like movie adaptations, and I keep comparing both works (the book vs the movie). Maybe I liked it so much because of the whole connection I had with it? (being with friends, and having a good time before-during-after the movie). :lol:

Anyhow the movie wasn't all perfect, and wasn't entirely based on the book we read, so I couldn't exactly compare the two, but I thought it was pretty great!
I have long since added the rest of the authors books on my TBR, and haven't gone through with any of them yet XD.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

In my opinion, John Charter is one of the best-conceived stories with a great ending that makes the reader or viewer breathless.

Return to “Films and Books”