The Giver by Lois Lowry: Book vs. Movie

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Cryoose
Currently Reading: The Clockmaker's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 24

The Giver by Lois Lowry: Book vs. Movie

Post by Cryoose »

Being a fanatic of books, as I assume most of you are, I love to read books that have also been made into movies. One of my personal favorites is 'the Giver' By Lois Lowry. Now I usually like to read the book before seeing the movie, but this particular time I decided to switch it up, I watched the movie before the book. In this case, I liked the book way better than the movie. The book had so much more detail about what was happening than the movie did. The movie also changed a few events that happened in the book.

Overall, both the book and the movie are great, and I would highly recommend them to any audience.
Hollieanne11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollieanne11.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Hollieanne11 »

I agree with your post 100%. I prefer the books over the movies as well , due to the fact that books are more “slow paced” & you can connect with the characters better. Movies , although they are very good also, are more of a “summary” of the book. You don’t feel that “connection” between self and actor as you do self and character.
klarrysah_223
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by klarrysah_223 »

The Giver is one of my favorite books. I read it in elementary school shortly after it came out, and it has influenced many of my personal beliefs. I've read it more times than any other book. So when the movie came out my first thought was, "please don't ruin it"; followed by "it better be in black and white for the most part." The second was done right at least.
The movie itself was good, but it came out as the same time as other dystopian youth movies, so it got lost in the shuffle of those. I understand why they changed some of the things they did (like the ages of characters, or making an actual villain) but at the same time it takes away some of the impact. The spirit of the story is there, and the things that were added make the movie understandable. I think they could have done more with those additions. I don't want to get into spoilers, but the book is way better than the movie, and the movie on its own merit is pretty good as well.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

I was shown the movie at my school and for some reason I loved it. I am not a sci-fi lover but The Giver was a really nice movie.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?

Return to “Films and Books”