Fantastic Beasts Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Fantastic Beasts Series

Post by Corina Elena »

Do you think the Fantastic Beasts series are a success or not?

Personally, I was incredibly excited about them coming out, and I watched both of the movies (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and The Crimes of Grilndelwald at the cinema. However, I believe you must be a true Harry Potter fan in order to understand most of the plot. Also, the second movie was so crowded, there were so many things going on, it kinda threw me off guard.

What do you guys think?
Trinity_tracey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Trinity_tracey »

I think fantastic beast is a good series for people who are interested in all the things that occur in the book
Moodykelz_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moodykelz_10 »

I was so incredibly excited for the films however the did fall a little flat and I don't think the real buzz that was with Harry Potter was there as much, that might of had something to do with the media storm surrounding Johnny Depp maybe.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Personally I'm really looking forward to the Fantastic Beasts Series. But some fans' negative opinions about linking it to the Harry Potter story are affecting me a bit.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I'm a fan of the Fantastic Beasts series. The movies are good; they're able to be enjoyed by casual readers, but also reward long-time fans of Harry Potter. Although the focus has shifted from the creatures, I actually like the plot of The Crimes of Grindelwald. The story is not something you've already read about. Rather, it fills in the background story that you've only had hints of.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I'm actually a huge fan of the Harry Potter books but the fantastic beasts series really disappointed me.It seemed sillier than Harry Potter which was a children's book! How is that possible?
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I never watched Crimes of Grindelwald but I did watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Honestly I really enjoyed it and yes, the story is so layered you have to keep up with J.K. Rowling's weird plot reveals to understand half of what's going on.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I loved the movies too! they're definitely a must watch.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

I am a Potterhead and Proud! I prefer the original canon over the extended universe of the Wizarding World, keyword being 'prefer'. I liked the Fantastic beasts well enough. It had all the magic and awe of the Potterverse. Crimes of Grindelwald though was okay, I guess. I mean, the reveal with Credence is still eating my head... (No spoilers for those who were living under a rock)
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

I think that Fantastic Beasts can be a very powerful franchise, much like Harry Potter, if they play their cards right. I personally loved the Fantastic Beasts movies that have been released so far because they showed a very different aspect to the wizarding world that we didn't see much of in the original Harry Potter films. Someone stated before that Crimes of Grindelwald was confusing, which I completely agree with, but I think that these movies are the types that you have to watch more than once in order to fully understand them. But overall, I thought it was refreshing to see new characters and a new plot line that showed a very different part of the wizarding world. I personally loved the movies and can't wait to see where they take this series!
anitamills293
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitamills293.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by anitamills293 »

I think they are great. You should another year for the third movie. But personally I think only a true Harry Potter fan will follow this film series!
I am one of them. I can't wait until November 2020!
Kiowa
Currently Reading: simon vs the homo sapiens agenda
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiowa.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Kiowa »

I am in complete agreement with you. I do think that you have to be a pretty big Harry Potter fan to be interested in the initial story. There were very few hints as to the overall story in the "original" set of Harry Potter movies. I think some of the magic is gone because we do not see the world that we are used to and barely catch a glimpse of Hogwarts in general and the names seem very ambiguous except for maybe two at most and it seems separate from each other even though both are all parts of the same world.
eve777
Favorite Book: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Korean Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve777.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by eve777 »

I love the fantastic film series. Yes being a harry potter fan would give you a better appreciation for the movie, but u can't deny that even a newbie to the series will find it extremely satisfying. I love the main character, his unassuming and seemingly useless demeanour , yet he always come through when needed.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I thoroughly enjoyed the first Fantastic Beasts, but the second was a bit more difficult for me. Maybe it was because I saw them so far apart, but the second one felt very confusing. I barely knew what was going on so I thought the plot was a bit faulty.
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

As a huge fan of both the Harry Potter books and movies, I was disappointed in the Fantastic Beasts movies. I didn't have high expectations going in, trying to avoid disappointment, but was still disappointed. They weren't bad movies overall, but since they were marketed as being part of the Harry Potter universe, I expected more of a Harry Potter feel to the movies. It was a very different style and therefore did not trigger any nostalgia or connections for me. The second movie also chose to take on too much and was therefore hard to follow.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Films and Books”