Fantastic Beasts Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Re: Fantastic Beasts Series

Post by VSuraj »

I think the series is off to a good start.

The first instalment was Amazing! Really good visuals, setting, characters and story.

The Crimes of Grindelwald was good but there was a lot going on; at times it seemed like even the characters themselves weren't sure about what was happening. With that being said, it was great to see Dumbledore and visit Hogwarts, and the last half hour was intense, with all the revelations and twists!

Once they stick to a clear structure for the third movie, I believe the series can re-capture the magic, so to speak.

(Remember the second movie got some negative press with the Johnny Depp allegations, and there was also some disagreement with the casting of an Asian actress for Nagini).
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

I don't really like the Harry Potter series but I loved the first Fantastic Beasts movie! However the second film fell short, there were good moments but overall it was cluttered and confusing.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I’m a huge Harry Potter fan. Huge! I think the FB movies all depend on expectations.

When I went to see them, I did not expect them to be on par with the HP books. (What is???) Seeing as how it is the same genre and the same “world,” I LOVED THEM. It really is so nice to get new material out of the wizarding world without trying to over do the Harry Potter story.

If I had expected another HP league movie, I would have been disappointed because they are so different.

I am 100% a fan of FB series and have not been let down yet.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
Elwyn23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elwyn23.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Elwyn23 »

I really loved them as well, but I don't think that readers have to be Harry Potter fans to enjoy it, being a fan definitely helps appreciate a lot of moments, but Fantastic Beasts reads more mature and gritty and can certainly entice readers who though Harry Potter was to childish for them
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I liked the Fantastic Beasts movies. As a Harry Potter fan, I was surprised at the elements that were in these new films. I was at the edge of my seat the entire time when watching both the movies. I can't wait to see the next movie in the series. Newt is awesome.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

I really enjoyed the films. I bought it was great to see a part of the wizarding world that we had never considered before.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I am a big fan of the series. I have not read the books, but I am loving the storyline. Kind of confused as to Dumbledore's sudden aging. He appears to become his crazy old age 10 years after the events of Fantastic Beasts, and that does not seem realistic.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

My opinion is that the Harry Potter stories have more depth to them, than the Fantastic Beasts. I did enjoy both, but Harry Potter seemed richer to me. There was more content and more storyline. To me, Fantastic Beasts storyline was a bit limited/flat. It definitely was a spin-off to the more well known Harry Potter saga.
Zeba Jabbar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zeba Jabbar »

The movies of the Fantastic Beasts series are an adventure for sure. They have instances and twists that startle the audience. There's romance, sacrifice, awkwardness, empathy and a lot of Newt Scamander and his bewildering creatures.
I truly enjoyed both the movies. Also, Jude Law aka Dumbledore is indeed the hottest magician in the Harry Potter universe.
I am eagerly waiting for the next installment's release.
The confidence exuded by the main characters is astounding, and it makes you fall in love with them.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I am a huge fan. I loved the books, loved the movies and cannot wait for the next one to come out! Having a Harry Potter background can help to understand but you do not necessarily need to have watched those movies to enjoy Fantastic beasts.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

yeah you have to be a Potterhead in order to grasp the plot. I remember reading the Harry Potter books in order and I encountered Fantastic Beasts there.
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

Fantastic beasts is superior when it comes to finnese and vfx. But Harry potter is Harry potter. Nothing can touch that absolute gem. I get so nostalgic whenever I watch HP movies. I liked Johny Depp as Grinderwald. Gonna miss him in the latest movie. And I am eagerly waiting for Secrets of Dumbledore.
Adekeye-Hassan A
Currently Reading: The Christmas Pig
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Adekeye-Hassan A »

I think fantastic beasts is a good movie, although I can't say if the adaptations were according to the books.
Julia J 1
Currently Reading: The Priory of the Orange Tree
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-j-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Julia J 1 »

Personally I was disappointed with the Fantastic Beasts movies. I am an avid fan of the Harry Potter books and movies. I don't think they are as successful as the other movies because I don't think they are as good. No hate towards the actors. I just found the writing to be a bit dull and predictable. I think you can watch them without watching or reading Harry potter but I would recommend the original books and movies more.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

Fantastic beasts and where to find them. It's been a long while since I watched the movie. I wonder if there be a next one.

Return to “Films and Books”