Film Adaptations - yay or nay?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Re: Film Adaptations - yay or nay?

Post by yapashley »

Yay! I get really excited when the books I read become film adaptations. Sure there''s always the risk that the movie disappoints but there's something about initial excitement when a book is announced to become a movie.
Purneemaa
Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading: Crescent City
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purneemaa.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Purneemaa »

I do like film adaptations. But everytime a book I have read is converted to a movie, I get scared. I don't want the movie people to spoil the books. But that's what usually happens.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

It depends on how well it’s done. Good example - Harry Potter series. Yes, they left out a lot of stuff. But, I didn’t have a lot of complaints. It’s hard to tackle such a huge series and condense it into 2 and a half hour movies. Bad example - Percy Jackson. TERRIBLE. Don’t have to go into much detail because everyone knows what I’m talking about. All in all, I’m open to film adaptions. You have to see them as two different forms of storytelling. What comes across well in a book may not come across in a movie.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

Film adaptations are either a hit or miss. If done properly then can be enjoyable to watch.
Khushi V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushi-v.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Khushi V »

Nym182 wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 13:47 I've heard from several people that they refuse to watch a film adaptation of books they love because they feel like it changes their view of the book. (I.E. changes how they picture characters)

I have never had that problem, especially with books I love. For example, when I read A Song of Fire and Ice series, I have distinct pictures in my head of the characters that vastly differ from the actors/actresses on the show.

Does this stop you from watching adaptations?
Nope, it does not stop me from watching adaptations. Although I agree there comes a vast difference with both the format and descriptions. But it is a good feeling to watch characters go live on screen.
RobinAbraham
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinabraham.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by RobinAbraham »

I think I love both. A good adaptation will not make the readers feel, "Oh I wish they had not cast so and so actor/actress" because it clashes with the mental image built up by you during reading. A good adaptation also should come from a person who could have plausibly written the book himself, as one might say in the case of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. He must have had to rewrite the book himself to make such a perfect adaptation. Getting everything right in terms of casting, setting, music, screenplay etc.. to do all that he must have embodied Tolkien spiritually. And that is key I believe for any filmmaker who wants to bring a book to life.

Return to “Films and Books”