Joker

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Re: Joker

Post by edztan15 »

Loved the film. It is a slow burn but that's just how I like my movies. At first I was a bit apprehensive since they might go on a really pretentious, artsy fartsy route with a really vague ending but I'm glad they didn't. The ending was, in a way, satisfying.
msuscoob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msuscoob.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by msuscoob »

Hi all, so I haven’t seen the Joaquin Phoenix Joker yet. However, the Joker itself, as well as most villains have always been the attraction I. Superheroes movies for me. Well, let me make myself more clear, DC comics, movies. Every villain has had some type of tragedy, so while they have become that nemesis to Batman (whom himself is flawed as well), it always allows us the audience to see a glimmer of humanity even when turned to “evil.” The Joker himself could not live without his vengeful games with Batman and vice versa. They have become so immersed within each others lives and most importantly their psyches. It’s really quite a psychological character study once you begin to break it down. Including Harley, Riddler, Penguin, all of villains we know and don’t know as well as our infamous heroes Batman, Robin, and Batgirl. Oh, there are huge difference between comic and movie. Comic being more grittier, crazier, and epic!

Just thought I’d throw that out there.
Purneemaa
Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading: Crescent City
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purneemaa.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Purneemaa »

I absolutely LOVED the movie. I was mad when people judged Joaquin even without watching the film. This movie is a master piece. Joaquin deserves every appreciation and award he got. Kudos.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

My favourite quote from the Joker is "Why so serious?"
This always gets me
Echez_
Currently Reading: Totto-chan, the Little Girl at the Window
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echez.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Echez_ »

Well, I don't know if it's just me, but I didn't like Joker that much.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I think it handled the topic of mental illness really well. It addresses the damage inflicted if someone with a mental illness is ignored or ridiculed. Incredible performances with a killer score! (Pun intended)
Amalia Lantano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amalia-lantano.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Amalia Lantano »

Joker is an amazing movie and its really nice. After watching it you do not know how to feel towards the most known villain in batman series. Should you pity him or just understand what he has been through.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

To honest when i went to the cinema to see it, I didnt expect this. I thought it would be another batman movie or some twisted origin story about joker, I havent seen the trailer before hand. But what i saw was an even better amazingly directed and performed movie which added so much to the character of Joker. I loved it.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Joker, for me, is not a superhero/super villain movie. Although based on a comic character, I think it's not that unreal.

It's easily one of my top 10 movies.
The acting, directing, music score... everything is a masterpiece.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

Oooooh Joker had me on the edge of my seat! Joaquin Phoenix has so much talent. He portrayed someone with mental health problems so well. It was not your typical comic book movie and I appreciate that. I love comic book movies, but it went against the norm.
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

Joker is definitely not children entertainment. I wouldn't allow my kid to see it. It is too intense. But it's also really good. I think the incorporation of mental illness in movies and media is so important, and this movie really sparked the conversation around the topic, which was, and still is very needed. Quite well made movie.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

Amazing movie. I loved it. I watched it in cinema with my university friends and it was one the of best day. Also, I'm a graduate of Psychology, so during the movie me and my friends were discussing about his mental health and presence of any mental disorder. Overall, it was fun watching this movie and the entire experience.
Amna Khalid
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

I support the fact that the Joker is more of a hero than a villain, and there is much more of a hero himself than is thought. The very idea of the Joker is much deeper and grows over the years. But if I had to compare Batman and the Joker, I would choose the Joker as the hero, no matter that he is the villain in the case.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

The Joker is brilliant, and it's so thought-provoking that I saw people of opposite ideologies loving it. I saw the movie about three times in the cinema, and I was sure that no one would ever get over Heath Ledger as the Joker.
Mishkah Simons DeVos
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkah-simons-devos.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mishkah Simons DeVos »

I really felt for the Joker throughout the whole movie. It was so deep. We usually see him as a mad villain, but showing his journey changed my perspective completely and showed how cold society can be.

Return to “Films and Books”