Thoughts on hallmark movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
CaptainTurtle8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captainturtle8.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Thoughts on hallmark movies

Post by CaptainTurtle8 »

I love them. They all turn out the same and are almost all the same story, but I can't help but love them. I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I like knowing how predictable and cheesy they are going to be.
rf-03
Favorite Book: Normal People
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by rf-03 »

I'm not usually a fan but I sometimes watch if I'm stuck at home sick or need to pass the time as they don't require any effort to understand the plot, given it's usually obvious from the first half of the movie.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

many people rave about Hallmark movies, ... I started watching a few and didn’t like them at all. I found them to be corny and predictable. But... everyone has different taste —- I am definitely not a hallmark movie watching girl
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I’ve never been able to sit through a whole Hallmark movie. They’re just too cheesy for me, but I understand the appeal. If you want a feel good movie, Hallmark is an easy option.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

Hallmark movies are my absolute favorite, especially at Christmas time.I agree that they are all very predictable. They get better and better as they are made. They have come up with some pretty realistic story lines so I never get bored with them.I am a black sheep when it comes to Hallmark. There are very few of us who like them these days.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

I also usually watch them before Christmas. I know they're cheesy and really predictable (which sometimes annoys me), but they have this comfy vibe that I find really appealing. They're like modern fairytales, and life is stressful sometimes, so I love to watch some happy endings from time to time. :D
single churro
Currently Reading: The Russian Lieutenant
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-single-churro.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by single churro »

Hallmark movies are mostly fluffy romance movies with the typical story, I used to watch them as a teenager but now my tastes have refined.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Samwisekoop wrote: 29 May 2020, 12:51 I don't really like predictable...I like Chick-Flicks...but not the Hallmark kind. I prefer romantic stuff like Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, While You Were Sleeping, and Father of the Bride. Have you watched any of those movies? Cause they're so great!
I have!
They are GREAT! And I'd watch some of them on repeat.
And while you were sleeping was one of my first Kdramas- it's so close to my heart.
But I did have the Hallmark phase, where I watched all these hallmark movies on YT for days on end. I kinda enjoyed some of them.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I have watched the Hallmark mystery movies and loved them. I've never watched the romantic ones but I'm sure they're great too.
FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

I hate those movies. They are so corny and I dont understand why there is an audience for it. It's cheap cinematography. Everytime, I see an actor who had a somewhat previous successful career appear in those movies, I go "Dang, they got you! Sorry, my dude(tte)!"
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Grace McHardy »

Hallmark movies basically follow the same blueprints, but something about them is so satisfying to watch. The audience already knows what's going to happen as it is predictable, but it still warms hearts regardless.

Return to “Films and Books”