What movie didn't you initially know was a book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Re: What did you WATCH & then realize it was a BOOK first??

Post by slj3988 »

Josep22 wrote: 19 May 2020, 05:56 'The Witcher'. I actually just realized it was a book before.
Yeah there's 8 books and the games made it popular worldwide. Then came the series. The games were my introduction, so I got a specific view of how the characters should look.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

For me it was The DaVinci Code! I got to know a little late that there’s a book. And I liked the book more than the movie.
Triduana
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 263

Post by Triduana »

Lady-of-Literature wrote: 19 May 2020, 20:12 So many of the best movies were books first and I distinctly remember my shock when I learned that Die Hard was a book first.
Wow, I had no idea. I might have to find that book!
anikag3602
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anikag3602 »

I didn't realize that Breakfast at Tiffany's was a book until after I watched the movie. And when I wanted to read the book, I realized how different it was from the movie adaptation.
Abigail Klinkerman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-klinkerman.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Abigail Klinkerman »

The last movie I watched and then realized it was a book is Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman. It's a beautiful and very touching film. 10/10 recommend.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

The show "You", on Netflix, I watched first. Now I'm reading the book and I am so glad I am. I am learning so much more about the characters while reading the book. There are certain things, like the way a person thinks, that come across better in writing than in acting.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

The first movie in the Spud series. I watched the movie and then later found the book in the family bookshelf. I wish I read the book first because of the number of details that they left out in the movie. I also really love the whole book series and it's one of the funnies that I've read.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It’s loosely based on a short story written by no less than my favorite author, F. Scott Fitzgerald...😋👍🏻
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Probably one of my most favourite movies is The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I’m so disappointed I never got a chance to experience the book beforehand!
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Lady-of-Literature wrote: 19 May 2020, 20:12 So many of the best movies were books first and I distinctly remember my shock when I learned that Die Hard was a book first.
What!? Really!? That’s so weird haha I can’t even imagine Die Hard as a book!

I’ll tell you what’s good, though. The Shawshank Redemption is based of a very short story called Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. My highschool English teacher told me about the short story after I shared my obsession with the movie.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The movie "Me Before You". I loved the movie but loved it more once I realized it was a book already.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Elwyn23 wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 13:45 The Witcher! I just thought the Netflix show was based off the video game, but then I found out about the books and I'm so glad I did because they're amazing
I heard of the game first but when word got out about TV adaptation people were excited. Then I read an article about the show where it was mentioned that the books will be used and not the games. Still trying to get around to the books myself.

I wasn't disappointed but intrigued that Kiki's Delivery Service was a book before becoming a movie. That said, learning of the source material (books) that inspired some of my favorite childhood movies were more or less palatable. Reading the original Cinderella and Little Mermaid was a shocker in itself.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

The 'untamed' which is a Chinese drama. Both the drama and the book are absolutely amazing.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

Zion Mesa wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 05:43 Well, I rarely get disappointed by finding out there's another book out there but, I didn't know "The Princess Bride" was a book first.
It's equally wierd but actually very different from the film.
Same! I had no idea that movie was a book. The film was hilarious. I still remember it to this day, it was that good.
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by SMAhmed »

I didn't know that Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk was actually a book first. The movie is great fun and does a good job of discussing topics of masculinity in an interesting and visually appealing way. The book is similarly weird but this was one of those cases where I think the movie just did it better, it was a story well suited for film in my opinion.

Return to “Films and Books”