Would the Harry Potter movies have done better as series?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Re: Would the Harry Potter movies have done better as series?

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I don't think that the movies left any of us wanting more. I do think everyone wants a series because we just don't want to let the story go. I think that if they do make a series, we won't be satisfied because things exist better when we are wistful.
redknitcapgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redknitcapgirl.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by redknitcapgirl »

Possibly. Back then we didn't have Netflix and people weren't so keen on turning books into a tv series. Movie series were more common around that time. And I feel that if they did one now, it would do the book more justice, as long as they do it right. Imagine Peeves finally being on it! And oh what they'd do to Quidditch, Hogsmeade, and the Forbidden Forest!
Purneemaa
Favorite Book: A Court of Mist and Fury
Currently Reading: Crescent City
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purneemaa.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Purneemaa »

I am a humongous fan of Harry Potter. I love the movies too. But the idea of a series is not bad. They did not include many background stories in the movie like Marauder's story, story of the Half blood prince, how Voldemort got Helga Hufflepuff's cup, etc. to name a few. They will not be able include all the stories in a movie, as the movies as time restricted. May be in a series they will be able to include all these important information.

But a fact to be noted is the that after the popularity and reach of the movies, a new series can be a risk especially when it comes to casting the characters. Not many people will be able to see the new cast in the same light as the old ones. Getting people to love the new characters will be a long, tiring journey for the makers if they decide on a series.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

No, I doubt that they would have been great as series. I think that they did pretty well as movies.
Red0
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Red0 »

Well according to me it would have been better if hp was a serie because of all the interesting parts they had to leave out in the two hour movie which most readers of the books would really love to watch
Sjtoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjtoy.html
Latest Review: Marriage Maximized by William Hutcheson

Post by Sjtoy »

I feel having a set of movies is better. Many people, myself included, would not want to invest the time to watch a series. I enjoy Harry Potter but am not a huge fan.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

They definitely would have been able to include more from the books. I would personally love for them to create a series about the Marauders. James, Sirius, Lupin, and Peter (YUCK). I’d love to see how Lily and James got together since she used to hate him.
leplus
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by leplus »

Kei Nakagawa wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 00:09 While I agree that HP as a TV series would provide more details about the book, I think it would have been risky at that time and that's probably why the movies are a better option. I'm just not quite sure how they can swing making a TV series out of it in the future as the films are probably etched in the mind and hearts of the viewers of all ages. That's probably going to be another risk.
I quite agree with you, making it a TV Series now would be very risky.....either make the fans hate it if it's done poorly or increase the numbers of fans when it does better than the movie. I doubt if that would be possible though 🤔
Chanet
Currently Reading: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanet.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chanet »

I love love the whole set of Harry Potter movies! However, I do agree that they would have had more room for detail if it was a series. If say in the future it is decided they do a series, I hope it is almost identical to the books. Major differences in the movies is enough change!
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

In my opinion If you want a book adaptation in the big screen 2 hours arent enough. Tv series on the other hand are almost perfect because they have all the time in the world to follow the book to the letter without being afraid of running out of time. so yes they should have adapted it in a tv show instead of a movie.
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

For me, Harry Potter is perfect as it is, movie or book. It is the most perfect series turned movies because unlike other series, the writers and directors changed the story so much. From cinematography and effects, it's 10/10 for me for Harry Potter.
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

Topsey wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 12:28 I think that at the time it was a lot less common to make book series into tv series. They would just make them into a film franchise. Whereas nowadays lots of books are being made into tv series and Harry Potter could definitely be a great one. Maybe in ten years they’ll remake them and include all the amazing parts of the books that the films cut out.
It'd be great
EvaWills89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EvaWills89 »

Well, of course, the book can not surpass anything. But with the series, I would argue. I think Harry Potter would be too long for you, it wouldn't be that magical feeling of waiting for the next part of the movie. And so there are as many as 7 parts - I think more than enough)
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I don't think so. The movies were great. I think a series would have stretched too long. Like 7 seasons of God knows how many episodes. And the episodes would have to be long.
I think the movies made it more engaging.

Plus, as a Potter head myself, I'm worried I would have been too obsessed if it was a series. I mean, there is no going back from there 😂
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

As a series, it might have span a longer period, probably keep people's attention much longer. But i like the movies. I think they are classics. Personally i have watched them loads of times

Return to “Films and Books”