Would the Harry Potter movies have done better as series?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Ojaydee
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojaydee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Would the Harry Potter movies have done better as series?

Post by Ojaydee »

I read the Harry Potter books first, enjoyed them so much and then turned excitedly to the movies thinking I would enjoy them just as much.

That didn't happen.

Among other things, what displeased me the most was the fact that so many details were changed when adapted into film. But I realized that a two-hour movie would be too little to be able to compress a whole book and all of its events into.

Also, the visual depictions of the world of wizards and wizardry was commendably done, and that got me thinking: Would the movies have been better if they were actually made a series? Because a series would definitely give room for more film time.

What do you think?
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

I think that at the time it was a lot less common to make book series into tv series. They would just make them into a film franchise. Whereas nowadays lots of books are being made into tv series and Harry Potter could definitely be a great one. Maybe in ten years they’ll remake them and include all the amazing parts of the books that the films cut out.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

They changed a lot of details from the books. But I still loved the movies, I don't see anyone playing Harry and Hermione as well as Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson. If it were turned into a series, I hope they'd be more faithful to the books.
Ojaydee

Post by Ojaydee »

Topsey wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 12:28 I think that at the time it was a lot less common to make book series into tv series. They would just make them into a film franchise. Whereas nowadays lots of books are being made into tv series and Harry Potter could definitely be a great one. Maybe in ten years they’ll remake them and include all the amazing parts of the books that the films cut out.
Hmmn, it actually never occurred to me that adapting a book series into a TV series may not have been given much consideration back then.

Lool ten years, huh? I don't see that happening - but it's quite a possibility, I agree. We'll just have to see.

Thanks for that bit of insight!
Ojaydee

Post by Ojaydee »

yapashley wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 23:38 They changed a lot of details from the books. But I still loved the movies, I don't see anyone playing Harry and Hermione as well as Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson. If it were turned into a series, I hope they'd be more faithful to the books.
Hahahaa, even though I don't particularly love the movies, I also love those two as well! They grew with their roles and played them better with each new movie release.
Mother Goose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mother Goose »

I think it would have been more immersive and detailed as a series, and thinking back on it I'm a little sad that movies were the popular book adaptation (and not just Harry Potter either). I don't think a series would have made as much, but it I think the HP craze would have made it successful regardless.

But now that it's been done, I don't think I could accept other actors. Maybe a remake when Emma Watson is old enough to play McGonagall 🤔

Alternative thought- Marauder's Story. More world building, less guidelines/canon to strictly follow, while still giving us fans the world building we desperately wanted from the movies
Nicolesmith327
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolesmith327.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nicolesmith327 »

I think the Harry Potter craze would make a series successful if it were done someday down the road. Would there have been as much of a fan following if we had a series instead of the movies? I’m not sure. I know I picked up the books after people started talking about the movies. I can’t remember, but I believe I saw the first movie before I read the first book. The movies helped boost the popularity of the books. Therefore, I don’t know if a television series (at that time) would have had as much of an impact? I definitely see the potter fans (and their offspring as we all know if you love Harry Potter you share it with everyone!) making a series (maybe on Netflix??) very popular. Similar to the Mandalorian and Star Wars!
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

This is an interesting question. I loved the books, and the movies didn't live up to the expectations. So much was changed or omitted. A series would have been amazing, they should do that now. I would watch every episode even with different actors.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

The problem with adapting any book to a movie is that stuff will almost inevitably be omitted or changed. The average movie runs about 2 or 2.5 hours, and the film crew has to work within those time constraints. Sometimes, though, that can improve the movie. While Harry Potter was understandably upset about the events in Goblet of Fire, it still got tiresome reading about his near-constant snit throughout Order of the Phoenix. I am not going to argue with the decision to reduce the number of Harry's outbursts.

Unfortunately, in too many cases, the filmmakers delete or change things that the fans actually want to see in the movie.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

I don't think so. I think series are done well when there are small story arcs within 20-60 minute time frames that generally reveal hints to a larger plot throughout a season. Because of this, I don't think that Harry Potter would have been well suited for a series. Though more details would have been able to be included, I remember each book being so fluid. Except for a few scenes in the seven books, I can't remember any appropriate scenes to end a mini conflict that would fit within an episode. A season would basically just be one long, on-going adventure, which I've never seen done in a series. I'm not saying it's not possible, though!
underthe_cloudyskies
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-underthe-cloudyskies.html

Post by underthe_cloudyskies »

It would be an amazing idea to adapt the book into a series instead of books because,
1. Speaking as a potterhead, we would have more Harry potter material
and 2. The series would be able to grasp several of the amazing details that were missed out in the movies.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

While it would've been interesting as a TV series, chances are high that something or other would've caused the series to get canceled; and the reason may or may not make sense. If a TV series did surface, it will likely focus on something from the HP Universe without the inclusion of Harry and friends.
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

While I agree that HP as a TV series would provide more details about the book, I think it would have been risky at that time and that's probably why the movies are a better option. I'm just not quite sure how they can swing making a TV series out of it in the future as the films are probably etched in the mind and hearts of the viewers of all ages. That's probably going to be another risk.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html

Post by a_r_egerton »

Kei Nakagawa wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 00:09 While I agree that HP as a TV series would provide more details about the book, I think it would have been risky at that time and that's probably why the movies are a better option. I'm just not quite sure how they can swing making a TV series out of it in the future as the films are probably etched in the mind and hearts of the viewers of all ages. That's probably going to be another risk.
The question, of course, is how well will the movies hold up? Wizard of Oz, to pick an extreme example, still holds up very well, even though it was made in the 1930s. Other movies from that era or even later seem slow or hokey. Special effects that were once considered state-of-the-art can seem laughably crude.

I do agree that remaking the Harry Potter series would be an expensive and risky proposition. Given how popular the movies still are, I don't see it happening any time soon.
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

a_r_egerton wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 07:05
Kei Nakagawa wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 00:09 While I agree that HP as a TV series would provide more details about the book, I think it would have been risky at that time and that's probably why the movies are a better option. I'm just not quite sure how they can swing making a TV series out of it in the future as the films are probably etched in the mind and hearts of the viewers of all ages. That's probably going to be another risk.
The question, of course, is how well will the movies hold up? Wizard of Oz, to pick an extreme example, still holds up very well, even though it was made in the 1930s. Other movies from that era or even later seem slow or hokey. Special effects that were once considered state-of-the-art can seem laughably crude.

I do agree that remaking the Harry Potter series would be an expensive and risky proposition. Given how popular the movies still are, I don't see it happening any time soon.
True. It might seem as though the movies will hold up pretty well though, especially with the addition of the Fantastic Beasts[i/] franchise. I'm hoping for a Marauders franchise as well.

Return to “Films and Books”