Have any books or movies really scared you?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Have any books or movies really scared you?

Post by Bighuey »

Its been a lot of years since a book or movie scared me, but when I was younger some movies I saw were really scary. One I remember was Unknown Island, a 1948 flick about some people on an island with dinosaurs. I had nightmares about dinosaurs coming through my bedroom wall for some time after that. Another was Invasion USA from about 1950 or so. I saw it in a theater with a couple friends when it first came out and it seemed pretty scary, the Russians nuking the US. I was about 11 or 12 at the time and I remember we were walking home after the movie and talking about getting machine guns, bazookas hand grenades and fighting the Russians when they invaded. Ive seen the movie since and its a cheaply and crudely made low budget flick but with a serious storyline and still somewhat scary.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Not a movie per se but there was this television show, possibly mini movie, called Are You Afraid of the Dark? It was the first that we were allowed to stay up late on a school night and the episode that aired, while it didn't bother me watching, images from the show made it difficult to sleep. Haven't experienced anything like it since.

But then again there's Cloverfield. While the initial film was fascinating that scene in the tunnel just took fear to a whole new level. And that subtle warning eminent danger before the jump scare and then much later the very much unwanted close-up of the city terror.

Book-wise, it's difficult as it's a tie between Midnight Meat Train and Dread; both by Clive Barker. First time reading was a doozy for both but after it wasn't as bad. Of course, that was before I found out about the film adaptation of Midnight Meat Train.
Last edited by TopaAzul062 on 04 Jan 2021, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

NashTanui wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 12:22 The Black Cat by Edgar Alan Poe gave me sleepless nights for weeks. The human Centipede is a film I wouldn't recommend to anyone. It is very disturbing 😥
You are the first in a long time to mention this movie. I was first introduced to it, never watched it, by way of an article as part of a scary movie theme for the month of October many years ago.
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

Pretty sure almost every book by Stephen King scares the hell out of me. I was told that most of his books are based on dreams he had. Don’t know if I should feel sorry for him or be amazed by it... Oh, and I watched The Nun a few months ago. I even believed she stood in my room that night trying to murder me. It turned out it was just the shadow of a chair. Horror is just not for me.
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

Coraline. Anyone who says that Coraline should be a kids film is lying to themselves. I didn't think I've ever been as terrified as this film made me.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I remember a story I read when I was in high school, I dont remember the name of it or even who wrote it. It was in one of those Alfred Hitchcock anthology's that were popular back then, about a woman who had a baby and it was some kind of a Siamese twin and was dead and deformed so they removed it from the living child. Later it came back alive and terrorized and I believe killed some people. I had nightmares about it for some time after that. Creepy.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
nangel04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nangel04.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by nangel04 »

I cannot honestly say any movie or book has ever truly scared me, and I used to purposely watch things to try and scare myself. What can I say, I was a strange child. Nowadays, I am not into horror so much. I do have to say, however, when I was a kid, nothing could creep me out like a Marylin Manson video!
In the beginning was the Word...John 1:1

Reason and love keep little company together nowadays. ~Shakespeare; A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Lost Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lost-star.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Lost Star »

At first, I thought I can't get scared by reading books. But after reading Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill, I proved to myself that books can be scary, too. If you haven't read it yet, I suggest for you to read it and let's see if you can finish it or not.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

When i was yoing, i avoided horror movies. Especially Nollywood movies. Looking back now, i just can't explain why I was so scared. But now i find myself loving them. I have Jaws, Evil Dead, Chucky to name a few. And i only found them amusing.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

Reading The Exorcist freaked me out. The book scared me more than the book. I was actually underwhelmed by the movie. The book was more descriptive and dark.
klynnryda79
Currently Reading: Create the Life You Want
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by klynnryda79 »

Allow me to start off by saying that I dont like any scary(horror) movies!!!!

I believe that the movie that has caused me the most fear, so far would be Annabelle Comes Home. The doll was introduced in this particular movie as possessed and the couple took the doll with them so that whatever chaos it had caused could end. (At least that's what I got from it) I could only watch about 45 minutes of the movie before I truly started freaking out. Once the doorbell rang and a voice asking for Annabelle to play..... I was too through!!!!!! I tried to take a nap for the remainder of the movie but, even in my sleep I could hear every bit of the movie. No visual. But the audio was extremely vivid. I honestly never feared having dolls growing up. Did not view them as creepy or anything like that. However as I have grown into an adult and the innocence is not as prevalent as it once was; I I pay attention to the evil nature of people, how they can manipulate and invite spirits and entities to take control over a non-guarded soul.(if you will)

Possession of spirits is real. And unfortunately people test and play with this way to often. When all is said and done the destruction is well beyond any kind of repair.
No more dolls for me!!!!! I see how they look at me now...... I aint about that life😶😶
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

As a kid, yes. I used to get scared after watching horror movies but I watched them anyway. I remember watching The Exorcist as a kid, didn't sleep for many nights.
RaidenX
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RaidenX »

lord of the flies--oh boy. i should not have read it at the age that i was at the time. dont think its hard to imagine that i couldnt finish reading it back then Dx
in hindsight, its a really good book (even if not whats usually my taste) but...it sure disturbed me to my core back when then :o
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

The first movie that pops into my head that really scared me even after it was over is Insidious. That red faced demon is still terrifying to me. When he pops up behind Josh when they’re all sitting at the table discussing the strange events happening, my heart STOPPED.
Nasray22
Currently Reading: Raptor Canyon
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Nasray22 »

Scream did that! It was somehow scary but thank God i was in high school so we were a crowd. But I feel like I wouldn't be scared now if I re-watched.

Return to “Films and Books”