Anyone else watch Asian series/movies?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Anyone else watch Asian series/movies?

Post by Gravy »

Just what the title says.

I know a lot of people watch K-Dramas, and maybe others use that as a catch all for all of it, I don't know.

I wanted to be specific.

Anyone watch Asian tv/movies? I've gotten into it in the past year or so (thanks to Ghost Bride!).

Some I've really enjoyed:
  • Ghost Bride (obviously)
  • The Perfect Match
  • My Holo Love
  • #Alive
  • Autumn's Concerto
Obviously, I've got a lot more waiting for me (when I have time), but I'd love some recommendations!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I love Asian dramas too! I watch mostly Korean and Chinese romance dramas. I was motivated to move to China because of my interest in the culture there! I haven't seen the ones you enjoyed, but I'll look them up. I'll list my favorite ones below. Most of the Chinese dramas feature my favorite actress (Dilraba Dilmurat) so if you watch any of the C dramas on my list, she'll be in it [LOL].

1. Goblin (K-drama)
2. Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms, also known as Eternal Love (C-drama)
3. Pretty Li Huizhen (C-drama)
4. The King's Woman (C-drama)
5. Cinderella and Four Knights (K-drama)
6. Cinderella Chef (C-drama)
7. Hotel Del Luna (K-drama)
8. Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (K-drama)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

KristyKhem wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 20:56 I love Asian dramas too! I watch mostly Korean and Chinese romance dramas. I was motivated to move to China because of my interest in the culture there! I haven't seen the ones you enjoyed, but I'll look them up. I'll list my favorite ones below. Most of the Chinese dramas feature my favorite actress (Dilraba Dilmurat) so if you watch any of the C dramas on my list, she'll be in it [LOL].

1. Goblin (K-drama)
I've been thinking about watching #5!

I love how slow the romance tends to be. I am a sucker for a slow burn!

I have to confess...
I've watched a lot of the ones I've watched because Wu Kang Ren is in them ( :oops: :shhh: :oops: ) so you're not alone. :lol:

Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Gravy wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 21:37
KristyKhem wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 20:56 I love Asian dramas too! I watch mostly Korean and Chinese romance dramas. I was motivated to move to China because of my interest in the culture there! I haven't seen the ones you enjoyed, but I'll look them up. I'll list my favorite ones below. Most of the Chinese dramas feature my favorite actress (Dilraba Dilmurat) so if you watch any of the C dramas on my list, she'll be in it [LOL].

1. Goblin (K-drama)

I have to confess...
I've watched a lot of the ones I've watched because Wu Kang Ren is in them ( :oops: :shhh: :oops: ) so you're not alone. :lol:
I love the slow burn romance in Asian dramas too! You'll love #5! I watched it twice actually. It's a super cute drama. We all have our favorite stars I suppose :D Where do you watch dramas? I used to watch them on a site called Viki Rakuten, but now I see that Netflix has a few.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

KristyKhem wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 21:55

1. Goblin (K-drama)

I have to confess...
I love the slow burn romance in Asian dramas too! You'll love #5! I watched it twice actually. It's a super cute drama. We all have our favorite stars I suppose :D Where do you watch dramas? I used to watch them on a site called Viki Rakuten, but now I see that Netflix has a few.
Netflix, mostly. Other streaming, sometimes, but Netflix has so many I want to watch, I just haven't explored other streaming as much.

I've actually found several actor/resses that I've enjoyed, but I don't have access to their other work, or they just don't seem to have done anything else. :( One such actor is Liu Shu Hong.
(I do this a lot; find actor/resses that I enjoy and just binge watch everything I can. I have found both wonderful gems that I love, and terrible things that I regret before they're over.) :lol:

I've watched Ghost Bride more than once, and plan to watch a few others over again (definitely The Perfect Match and My Holo Love).

Oh, I highly recommend My Holo Love. It's a romance, but also sci-fi (I love sci-fi and/or paranormal shows). It's absolutely one of my favs!

Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Gravy wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 22:17

I have to confess...
Netflix, mostly. Other streaming, sometimes, but Netflix has so many I want to watch, I just haven't explored other streaming as much.

I've actually found several actor/resses that I've enjoyed, but I don't have access to their other work, or they just don't seem to have done anything else. :( One such actor is Liu Shu Hong.
(I do this a lot; find actor/resses that I enjoy and just binge watch everything I can. I have found both wonderful gems that I love, and terrible things that I regret before they're over.) :lol:

I've watched Ghost Bride more than once, and plan to watch a few others over again (definitely The Perfect Match and My Holo Love).

Oh, I highly recommend My Holo Love. It's a romance, but also sci-fi (I love sci-fi and/or paranormal shows). It's absolutely one of my favs!
I can totally relate! A lot of the dramas I watch have the same actors/actresses. There was a Taiwanese actor called Thassapak Hsu - he starred in Cinderella Chef, but I couldn't find other dramas where he acted in. I'll definitely check out My Holo Love and Ghost Bride. Paranormal romance is right up my alley too. Goblin and Hotel Del Luna are both paranormal romances. I love the historical romances a lot. Can't seem to get enough of the Chinese historical ones with all of the fancy costumes and elaborate hairdos. I always have a soft spot for the long-haired Asian guys [LOL]. Netflix has a few of the ones on my list, like Eternal Love (this one is more fantasy romance) and Cinderella and Four Knights.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

KristyKhem wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 23:30

I can totally relate! A lot of the dramas I watch have the same actors/actresses. There was a Taiwanese actor called Thassapak Hsu - he starred in Cinderella Chef, but I couldn't find other dramas where he acted in. I'll definitely check out My Holo Love and Ghost Bride. Paranormal romance is right up my alley too. Goblin and Hotel Del Luna are both paranormal romances. I love the historical romances a lot. Can't seem to get enough of the Chinese historical ones with all of the fancy costumes and elaborate hairdos. I always have a soft spot for the long-haired Asian guys [LOL]. Netflix has a few of the ones on my list, like Eternal Love (this one is more fantasy romance) and Cinderella and Four Knights.
Oh my goodness, I just looked him up and I need to see My Girlfriend is an Alien!

I would love to hear what you think of those. (I have literally no one to talk to/with about these shows (it's awful), so this has been great. Thank you!

Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Gravy wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 06:45

Oh my goodness, I just looked him up and I need to see My Girlfriend is an Alien!

I would love to hear what you think of those. (I have literally no one to talk to/with about these shows (it's awful), so this has been great. Thank you!
I'll keep in touch about the dramas! None of my friends watch Asian dramas as much as I do either! I just searched My Girlfriend is an Alien. Omg! I thought he only acted in Cinderella Chef, but I watched that in 2018 and I had no idea that this drama came out in 2019. I can't find it on Viki, but I saw the trailer on youtube and it looks so cute! Thassapak Hsu is so handsome! I'll have to watch that!

Thanks for your recommendations too!
Fray_clare125
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fray_clare125 »

I too love to watch k drama😍😍 They are really awesome and super cute!!!! If someone is looking forward to watch rom-com dramas
Here's the dramas I loved and want to share
1 Heirs
2 Legend of the blue sea
3 The king
4 Goblin
5 Hotel del luna
6 Boys over flower
7 My girlfriend is an alien ( Chinese drama)
8 Strong women do bong soon
I love Lee min ho so there it is
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Fray_clare125 wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 22:59 I too love to watch k drama😍😍 They are really awesome and super cute!!!! If someone is looking forward to watch rom-com dramas
1 Heirs
2 Legend of the blue sea
3 The king
4 Goblin
5 Hotel del luna
6 Boys over flower
Awesome!

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

KristyKhem wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 22:47
Gravy wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 06:45

I'll keep in touch about the dramas! None of my friends watch Asian dramas as much as I do either! I just searched My Girlfriend is an Alien. Omg! I thought he only acted in Cinderella Chef, but I watched that in 2018 and I had no idea that this drama came out in 2019. I can't find it on Viki, but I saw the trailer on youtube and it looks so cute! Thassapak Hsu is so handsome! I'll have to watch that!

Thanks for your recommendations too!
I look forward to it!

Here's hoping that one becomes available somehow, somewhere soon.

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I also recently watched Alice in Borderland, based on the manga, and loved it! (Looking forward to season 2!)

Nijirô Murakami absolutely stole the whole show as far as I'm concerned.

Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Gravy wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 21:46 I also recently watched Alice in Borderland, based on the manga, and loved it! (Looking forward to season 2!)

I binged Ghost Bride on Netflix! I really enjoyed it, the cinematography was so cool! But I wanted more romance!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Fray_clare125 wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 22:59 I too love to watch k drama😍😍 They are really awesome and super cute!!!! If someone is looking forward to watch rom-com dramas
1 Heirs
2 Legend of the blue sea
3 The king
4 Goblin
5 Hotel del luna
6 Boys over flower
Goblin and Hotel del Luna are two of my favorites! I started Legend of the Blue Sea a while ago, but I never finished it. I'm watching another supernatural K drama now called Tale of the Nine-Tailed Fox. Maybe you'll like that one. The Grim Reaper from Goblin is the lead actor in this drama :D
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

KristyKhem wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 20:45
Gravy wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 21:46 I also recently watched Alice in Borderland, based on the manga, and loved it! (Looking forward to season 2!)

I binged Ghost Bride on Netflix! I really enjoyed it, the cinematography was so cool! But I wanted more romance!

I love Ghost Bride so much!

Er Lang is my favorite. The silliness and the drama all make it so fun. It also gave me a new favorite actor, so, YAY!

Return to “Films and Books”